Red ale

Exactly but as long as you keep your mash and runnings below 170° which hopefully you are you will not extract tannins. Just pull the steeping back before heat is above that temperature. By the way its the same with brewing coffee which is why you can steep cold press coffee overnight in the fridge

Steeping in the fridge for a day is what I’ll use…. Just going to brew a base grainbill, and the last 10 minutes is when I’ll add the steeped wort… just snuff out unwanted bugs… English Ale yeast is also my direction….
I ordered a new probe end for my Milwaukee pH55. When it shows up, I’ll brew.
Sneezles61
Edit: replacement probe for my pH meter to show up Thursday! Once its in hand, I’ll prepare for brew day…

Add the steeped liquor at the beginning of the the boil with the wort. I don’t think its wort without fermentables. Adding it at the end is like adding spice after the soup is made. Yeah you can do it but better incorporate it into the whole product.

Still not sure what your experiment is trying to find out. If you were making a stout with a boat load of roasted barley then maybe some early and some late but if you’re using any RB in a red ale it should be minimal and if it only color I would think you would want it in the boil early

Oh I see your talking about crystal malt the article was talking about RB. Either way you’re talking about using it as food coloring? In that case not sure. I never design a beer based on color. If you just keep adding it until the color seems right you are going to be changing the FG. I guess you can calculate that but

To color yes, but in the cold steeped wort, there will be flavoring… how much? I don’t know that as of now. Crystal has a way of adding raisins to the flavor, which is not what I’d choose to have. Going to see if it still occurs… X-beerment … I will never know if I dont try… right?
Sneezles61

New probe arrived for my pH meter… I have to run errands up north tomorrow, so that might be a good time get my X-tra dark crystal steeping? Or is it soaking? Saturday looks to be a good day to brew then…
Sneezles61

Saturday was a good day, to chip ice off the driveway! So today is brew day…
I read, there is already sugar in the crystal malt before you even mash it… so mashing crystal is more like vorlauf-ing and coloring the wort… I just did a test… 1.015…
Sneezles61

pH meter is back in business, water corrected to 5.6…
I did check gravity on crystal wort… 4.7.
My total grist is 10 lbs and estimated gravity 1.048…
pH check @ 15 minutes and it’s 5.2…
Pulled basket of grist after an hour. 1.035…
1 oz Warrior 15.3aa @ 190F.
1.040… but just over 6 gallons……
Done for today.
Sneezles61
Edit: no fermentation action yet!!
Edit: now it’s down to 1.022
Another edit: I’m able to not latch the door real tight against the door stop seals to help keep the fermenter cool, perhaps too cool this am, 62
F and the bubbles are extremely far apart… gravity at 1.021… I wonder, will that cause this 05 Ale yeast to act like a Lager yeast?

1 Like

What was the grain bill ?(you have it listed in 2021 but I assume it changed?)

8 lbs Pils…
1 each biscuit, wheat and 180 crystal… with the latter being cold steeped and put in as the chiller was connected and put through its sanitizing paces…
May inattentiveness to water volume contributes to low OG… I should’ve boiled longer to get to volume, but I followed time schedule instead… what a loser, eh? (:
Sneezles61

Nah. It’ll be beer. Dialing in a recipe, especially when not fully using or adhering to software, may take a few attempts to get it where you like it.

Geez…. Gravity at 1.000 this AM. I’m going to keg it. This brew thinks it’s from the era of “dry” brews!
Sneezles61

Can that be correct?

I would think a pound of crystal would add pts that wouldn’t be fermented out.

I’ll check my Tilt after I keg… I do have a finish hydrometer and cold water to verify these instruments…
I’m with you about the gravity.
Sneezles61

1 Like

It’s kegged now… I checked my Tilt, at 61*F it read .999. So it’s very close… haven’t had time to sample it yet. Clean up is done so I’ll sample it shortly…
Sneezles61

Well apparently the cold water steep didn’t extract any sugars just color. An Irish red ale generally has some body from the unfermentable sugars like most British ales. I’ll be waiting on your tasting report

Following here in Michigan. :sunglasses:

Well, that’s a brand new brew.
Just the sample wasn’t sweet. Couldn’t really tell what’s driving the flavor. It’s out in the snow bank … sealed with 50 psi’s…
Sneezles61
Edit: finished at .999… that small brew became 5.5%