Pouring theory 101

Taprite are great products. If you think your gauge or regulator are malfunctioning you should contact the seller or manufacturer.

My Taprites are 3 years old and have worked perfectly. I had one issue recently that turned out to be a piece of gunk that got sucked into the reg.

My next line of questioning was going to be about your regs. You should be able to get a good pour from a standard picnec tap.

Having said that every system balances out differently. 8 psi may be too high for yours. Maybe 6 will work. Don’t start replacing hardware without proof it’s bad. Just be patient and play with your system until you get it balanced.

Ya I hope so. The gauge will read, which is why I thought it was ok, but when the gauge is reading like 2 psi, after bleeding all from the keg, I get a way too fast pour out of my 10 ft line and when I swap regulators I need over 20 psi to pour which makes more sense. So maybe the gauge is faulty. Its defective right out of the box.

Thanks Dannyboy, I sort of proved it out with my other new Taprite regulator I bought to get my son set up at his place. I am very surprised, but I guess anything is possible, maybe I got a bad one or there is something stuck somewhere. even a partial blockage to the gauge I would assume it would eventually rise to where the pressure really is. I don’t know what the insides look like to speculate if it is possible that the gauge is reading a pressure different from what is going out. I suspect the gauge itself must be damages inside somehow. It moves up and down with the pressure, but it seems like at a much different scale than what is on the dial. Like a high pressure gauge with a low pressure dial/face.

So for right now I bled my keg, attached my sons regulator from his keg (currently carbing at 20 psi) and I gave my keg a 12 psi “charge” and then disconnected. I am afraid to leave my regulator on it as I have no idea what the actual pressure is going in, other than it must be way higher than the gauge reads.

I will look at the bright side, at the end of all this I will have all kinds of back up equipment so there will never be a beer emergency I cannot handle. And I learned soooo much about this subject. Thanks to all you guys again for the tips and advice!

And THE most important thing… I can pour the beer, it tasted great… and It seems carbed enough (at whatever the hell pressure I had it at :slight_smile: )… so life is good and I will be drinking home brew until my new regulator arrives. :slight_smile:

New Citra IPA kit will arrive next week and we will go at this again with much more knowledge this time.

Well, I see you are cured, kinda… With that, you don’t need a regulator to tell you if your pour is good or not… Just start low, you can tweak it a bit here and there AS you pour. Yes the gauge will help you identify where you have your sweet spot… I don’t set mine because someone says this is where it has to be… Now, the best part is to understand, different styles may want different levels of carbonation! I turned my gas off in the AM, about 5. When I got back to it about 5 PM, I did not bleed any gas off, because its still dissolving into the brew… Get it? :confused: Sneezles61

ha, yes I get it. My only concern is during carbonation it is probably good to know what the PSI is and how long it is being held for, only to avoid over carbing. I like it the way it is right now actually. So I am going to go back to a shorter beer line… and charge up the keg to 10 psi or so (using my sons regulator) and then pour until it needs another boost, or until my replacement reg comes.

1 Like

I have a couple regulators bargain basement. Never had a problem one is 4 years the other 2 years. Name brands mean Diddley. I’ll go see if I can find the brand on mine and post

The 2yr old is a taprite the 4yr old has no name on it. The taprite doesn’t use the washer the older one does although I have never changed it. Neither one ever leaked.

Thanks Brewcat. Maybe I just got a one in a million defect. It’s really strange. The low pressure gauge just acts like it is on a different scale than what is displayed. Like 2 psi is more like 25, based on how fast the beer came out of the 10 ft hose. Maybe I should pick up a Gauge and attached hose I can connect to verify pressure in the future. Seems like the adjustment knob turns an awful lot before being closed.

That is strange. 2psi is what I use to fill bottles off the keg. Should be very slow

1 Like

Yup, the regulator is hosed… If it were not under warranty I would troubleshoot it a bit. Not sure if it’s possible but it acts as though the low pressure gauge is actually a high pressure guage assembled with the wrong faceplate. But I will never know, as moreflavor.com has initiated a new one being fedexed to me and sent me a FedEx label to return this one. So it’s boxed and ready to go back.
I may bite the bullet a bit and make my chest freezer into a real keezer with a 2x4 rim to mount the beer faucet(s) and prob just drill a hole in that and feed my gas from the outside. Since it will sit in the basement anyway.

1 Like

I will build a keeper some day too! What I plan is to cut a piece of the lid right off over the hump, and make a stationary section there. Thats were the tapper will be… I can quaff a few pints and look at stuff and come up with a different way to reconfigure stuff… Thats my enjoyment! Sneezles 61

I am a little stumped on how I want to attach the 2x4 frame to the freezer… I see some people use glue? I am thinking what if someday we want to turn it back into a standard freezer, will the glue be a mess etc…

Then again it’s not like the freezer is some super expensive unit.

I think silicone… I wouldn’t make it continuous if you plan to return it to its original use… Sneezles61

Definitely silicone

Ron

Silicon it is then. Thank you!

1 Like

Replacement regulator arrived tonight. Attached, checked for leaks, adjusted and poured a beer perfectly. Just like you read about. Would have saved a ton of frustration if the first one worked, but I got a good education out of it.

Taking a vacation day tomorrow to brew up the Kama citra !

1 Like

You know, this home-brew stuff requires alot of dedication, and tons of sampling!! You’ll find something, somewhere that’ll trip you up… thats where you RDWHAHB… then, and only then, can you close the suspicious eye, and open up the curious eye… you’ll find how to look for an answer… I aint alluding… I’m just saying you have to find your answer… There many peeps to help you here, and you have brews to allow your mind out of the box!! Sneezles61

2 Likes

You, my friend, are pouring philosophy in this “Pouring Theory” thread! Nicely put. :vulcan: