Oxygen intake when cold crash primary

That’s where I rack after D rest… Into a keg… Hops are contained… But I’m also pushing into the keg with CO2… You don’t have to put the keg in the keezer just yet… But you are able to keep some CO2 pressure on the keg
Sneezles61

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I do with transfers, closed, and I’m pretty happy with that.
Except, as stated, my free range hops from the boil and first dry hop in fermenter, have managed to partially clog my “out tube” during transfer to keg, slowing transfer.
That’s really my main reason for looking into cold crashing. I’ve never been crazed about the various machinations for clear beer, my beers have been clear enough with my process…if this foray leads to even clearer beer so much the better.

But I’m not excited about pulling a bunch of oxygen into my beer…

I’m doing a deep dive into the beer Internet, Brulosophy, mylar balloons, mail order kits, DIY options, etc.
0ne guy uses massive mylar balloons shaped like numerals, LOL, and one guy just used empty bread bags. That was apparently shot down because plastic is oxygen permeable. Still looking…

Brew-loon I believe is what brulosophy calls it…
My hops are in a basket during the boil… DH’ing in the fermenter is free range… But that’s in a SS bucket… There is a small cone shape to the bottom and the pickup tube has been cut off so at least 1/2 gallon is left behind…
I don’t have problems… Perhaps I’m not using enough hops during DH?
It is fun to go looking for an idea to help a brewing process… I wish you success!
You are fermenting in…?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Carboys. Not that I’m in love with glass, but that it allows me to do closed transfers.

OK… dumb question here…put a mesh bag over the pickup tube?
Sneezles61

No, not a dumb question at all. I used to use a mesh sack either on inlet or outlet of auto-siphon with varying results prior to transitioning to closed transfers. Difficult here as you can see:

It Would work with a bucket or a big mouth bubbler as long as oxidation risk was considered. Not an easy task with glass narrow neck carboys…

Right… I have the same orange cap rebooted for my better bottle… which I do my cider in… I like my SS buckets… BUT… There a better mouse trap out there… I’ll follow what Grant me has in the works…
Sneezles61

1 Like

That’s one of the reasons i like buckets. I usually dry hop in the keg in a mesh cylinder or bag, unless I’m doing multiple DHs. Then I’ll do the first in the bucket with hops in a bag. Since I also bag or cage hops in the boil my wort and finished beer is easier to transfer with less concern of clogging.

It’s like opening a Pandora’s box of conflicting information…

?Rapid cold crashing could be harmful to yeast and cause off flavors!? See the comments section ?.. from no other than John Palmer.

I would only need to do this with NEIPAs and other double dry hopped beers, my other beers transfer fine without difficulty racking…still researching…my head hurts.

That’s exactly why I will reiterate… Transfer from fermentor into the keg… Then cold crash… See I can push CO2 in the keg…
There’s just so many nuances to each ones practices… Like playing guitar… One finger A chord… Or three? :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Lots of Palmers advice has been debunked or minimized. Cold crashing seems to me counterproductive for a NEIPA anyway. I seldom cold crash anything until it’s in the keg but i can understand why bottlers may want to.

Given your goals and the beers you’re discussing I would lean more toward hops containment but that’s just me.

1 Like

You’re not wrong…The thing thats an issue for me is that first dry hop. Generally down the neck through a funnel they go. Once my beverage dip got clogged in the keg later, and then most recently the transfer tube from the fermenter to the keg during closed transfer got clogged, I believe at the QD. Had to convert to auto siphon subverting the whole process.

Trying to MacGyver something to maintain my current setup, don’t care a flip about clear beer here, just avoiding a big problem with flow…With double dry hopped beers. Keg hopping is no problem.

1 Like

I looked at your picture a lot more closely… I have an idea… Since you are just using a racking cane… I wonder if a SS screen has been devised you could push it in through the opening… Hit the bottom, but the top stop just in the neck area… That way… You could utilize your orange racking cane set up… The only time you’d need that screen is at racking time… Filtered wort… I meant brew… :beers:
Sneezles61

When cold crashing for not getting O2 back in, I just cut the corner off a 1 quart zip lock bag and tape the blow off tube into it and fill the bag with CO2 from one of those soda CO2 bottles.

What do you do to the keg to push air / gas out while it’s filling? Do you loosen the PRV or gas post?

Yes, it, the PRV vents while the beer pushes the CO2 out. You can just see the little guy standing at attention in the pic.

The problem with some materials is that they also allow oxygen ingress. One guy was just using bread bags for this…Mylar seems to be the one material that most are using…

Well I don’t think the time frame of this adventure warrants O2 ingress…
Sneezles61

Maybe, maybe not…but under negative pressure/suction…?
Odors certainly permeate ziplocs…just ask anyone who’s tried to sneak pot in a baggy by the ol’ airport narc dogs😂

1 Like