Orange Peel in Belgian Witbier

I recently made the belgian witbier kit from MW Supply and it said to add the orange peel at 10 mins. The result, a perfectly drinkable witbier that has too much orange taste for my liking. I looked at the NB kit, which is almost identical with the only difference being that the NB kit adds the peel at 1 min. Has anyone brewed both kits or one of them and what was your result?

Using something other than hops to flavor a beer is an experiment. You don’t know how much to use, until you try it and it’s too much. One time, to make a jalapeno cerveza, I used too many jalapenos. The heat was bad, but it dissipated quickly.

I’m hoping the orange dissipates but thus far it has not. Maybe another week or two though.

Did you add the orange peel 10 minutes into the boil or 10 minutes from the end of the boil?

Also, did you add the full bag (1oz). IMO that is WAY to much. 1/4-1/2 pack is more than enough.

Also, did you add the full bag (1oz). IMO that is WAY to much. 1/4-1/2 pack is more than enough.[/quote]
I did as the recipe directed. I added the 1oz ten minutes before the end of the boil. I was thinking that if I did the recipe again that I would either reduce the amount or add it at the 1 min mark like NB’s recipe. But i don’t know the advantage of essentially a flame out addition versus just adding less at the ten min mark.

One more question, are you better off allowing the peels to go into your primary or should you remove them?

Remove the orange peels. Leaving the peels in may add unwanted bitterness. Using a funnel containing a strainer for the transfer to your primary will also remove some of the hop trub. Funnel and strainer also aerates.

The orange will mellow a little. And I think orange peel is as predictable as hops when it comes to bittering and flavoring. I’d suggest you drink the beer, by hte time you’re through it you might enjoy it. If not then next time use half as much AND add it at flameout.

how much and when did the coriander go in? I always feel the orange and coriander need to be just right so they don’t fight or overpower the other.

Also, did you add the full bag (1oz). IMO that is WAY to much. 1/4-1/2 pack is more than enough.[/quote]
I did as the recipe directed. I added the 1oz ten minutes before the end of the boil. I was thinking that if I did the recipe again that I would either reduce the amount or add it at the 1 min mark like NB’s recipe. But i don’t know the advantage of essentially a flame out addition versus just adding less at the ten min mark.[/quote]

I use the entire ounce of orange peel in my Witbier. Adding one minute before the end of the boil is like steeping grains. The orange peel is steeped until the wort is cooled. This allows the light orange flavors and aromas to come through balancing with the coriander. I once coarse crushed half of the coriander seeds. The coriander overpowered the orange and had a slightly bitter taste like arugula.

The coriander went in at 10 mins at 1oz, same as the orange peel. Right now, as my post suggests, the orange peel is overpowering everything.

I prefer to use fresh orange zest and 1/2oz of coriander in my Wit. I zest 2-3 medium sized organic oranges. I think a full oz of coriander is overpowering. You maybe getting a lot of citrus favors from that as well.

I dry-hop (dry-peel?) an American wheat beer for the wife, it has over-the-top orange oil flavor and aroma. I find the bitter orange has a character not unlike one of the citrusy American hops.

I’m brewing a witbier right now, it’ll be ready to keg soon. I could smell coriander when it was fermenting. I used both bitter and sweet peel and a little elderflowers.

You might brew a plain American wheat and blend this beer if it doesn’t tame down enough.

The coriander went in at 10 mins at 1oz, same as the orange peel. Right now, as my post suggests, the orange peel is overpowering everything.[/quote]
I did the NB Witbier and was impressed by the outcome. I crushed the coriander seeds, ok, I pounded them with a rolling pin, and the flavor was very subtle. I’m not a blue moon fan and was expecting this to be a blue moon. Luckily the hop bitterness, orange peel, and coriander all meshed perfectly.

I recently brewed a blonde ale adding 1oz of Orange 10 min to end of boil and 1/2oz of coriander last minute, then let then steep as wort cooled. only a couple days left of carbonation but from the bit i tried when bottling it seemed to taste great. We’ll see very soon the complete outcome though.

Also, i used Honey as priming sugar.

+1 I use 1/2 oz added at flame out myself. lite orange flavor but seems to me to fade fast. Cheers