Looking for Suggestions on Modifying an Extract recipe

Do add! Sneezles61

Do it!

2 Likes

It looks like sheā€™s going againā€¦

1 Like

Nice!

You did well! Never give upā€¦ We have Pork Chop to help us ease into a sour style should one go awry!! Sneezles61

Hey, donā€™t be confusing sour beers with my poor brewing techniquesā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::joy: Sneezles61

1 Like

Gravity 1.027 on 10/23 when I pitched the US 05 Starter.
Gravity 1.022 on 11/3
Going to check it again in a few days but I think she may be done. 2nd brew and both times I ended up with a High FG. I think Iā€™m not pitching enough good yeast from the getgoā€¦next time out Iā€™m making a healthy starter to pitch, god knows how old the yeast that came with the kits may have been

The wife said it tasted like a good strong flat beer, strong to her means in the 6-7 abv range and the dark red color. added some bourbon soaked oak chips on 10/27. Added some more today and some of the bourbon they soaked in. She canā€™t taste it, I can a little.

With 6 pounds of LME in a 5 gallon batch your OG should have been around 1.044. Typo or measurement error.

9.9 lbs LME on the original Boil. 1.074 OGā€¦checked SG at 1.027 and repitched to get grav down

I forgot to go back and read what I wrote.

That puts it right around 70% attenuation which is pretty close for that yeast, especially if it was unhealthy and you had to kick start it. Likely is done, but check it.

1 Like

Bottled on November 29th no further change, However now my house routinely gets down to 55-60 degrees and night and Iā€™m waiting on pins and needles for these bad boys to carb. Iā€™d do a heating pad or blanket but havenā€™t been able to find one with a digital readout and donā€™t want to crank my gas bill. Will they carb at these low temps? Might get up to 65 during the day with a 20 minute nudge from the heater.

A 60 watt light bulb inside a large cardboard box can raise the temp you need for quick conditioning.

1 Like

It might carb at those temps but itā€™s going to be very very slow. This temps make the yeast less active and theyā€™re already stressed from the fermentation and alcohol thatā€™s present.
I would urge you to find a way to warm them.

What about one of these warming jackets they do have temp control