lager yeast

[quote=“Pietro”]Danny, looks like Brewcat got it to lager out, but we were not able to. Did an 8-week lager on it, gelatin fining, and it tasted like apple juice.

From the other thread, someone pointed out the ester is the result/product of the specific acid from the dead yeast being metabolized/esterified, not the dead yeast itself. If it were the latter, you could either rack or put it through a filter and get rid of the flavor.

My understanding is that lagering will drop out polyphenols/tannins, but not not esters. My experience has been most esters are there to stay, YMMV.

On a related note, just harvested about 48oz of 34/70 slurry from my steam beer, preparing for a German Pils in a week or so. We may do one more starter just to wake it up and get it happy, but hoping for no dead yeast metabolization![/quote]
I don’t have enough cold conditioning space to make the effort. WIth that 11 gallons undrinkable and 11 gallons of pils that I fermented on the same yeast looking like it’s headed for the drain I have a serious dent in my beer supply so I have to get brewing and lagering to catch up. I plan to brew 11 gallons of munich dunkel tomorrow and ferment with 2206 that’s just finishing up second stage. I’ll need the lagering space for that soon.

So then, once the initial ferment is done,maybe 8 days, then, that is when to rack off the yeast? Or do a diacetyl rest first… See I’m confused already! Sneezles61 :roll:

If you need a d-rest, I’d leave it on the yeast for that. Then rack it to a secondary for lagering. However, once the yeast settle to the bottom, they really aren’t doing anything so I doubt you would hurt anything to take it off the yeast a little early. Yeast in suspension are actually doing the work.

I’ve used the yeast slurry from the same yeast after the Ofest and didn’t have a problem. Actually made a pils from it so I would have noticed it. I may have under pitched a tad. If it was the yeast I think it would have showed up in the pils. Normally what I do is after d rest I keg and carb for lagering, then serve from the same keg. The Ofest I did the same except after the 6 months on and off lagering I got that taste. Not that strong though. What I did next was push it to another keg and lager on carb for another month and I don’t taste it anymore. Just strange. I’m glad I don’t have to dump.

I just racked my Munich Helles off of the yeast cake after doing a D rest and sampled it and no Diacetyl. Never had it yet and don’t want it. I have done a D rest on all of my lagers thus far. Fair amount of controversy on this. To do one or not. I would recommend you do at least initially to get familiar with the process and then make up your own mind later on whether to continue doing them…

Alright, I am taking notes so I can have a schedule to follow. Primary, I look to have approximately 80% fermenting done, Then to unplug my fermenting chamber, or open the door and set to 65* for two days. After that time I rack into a keg and just crash it, or taper it down? So I will collect the yeast cake, store fer a week or so before I brew my next up coming batch… I trust I’m getting close! Again, thank you all, Sneezles61 :cheers:

Taper it down, a degree or two per day. You want to keep the yeast active until you’re at lagering temperature. If you crash it too fast, the yeast will go dormant and your lagering period will just be cold conditioning.

I highly recommend this lager schedule…http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Also, if your beer is done fermenting, there is no need to ramp down the temp. That’s for commercial brewers trying to rush a batch through. Just let your beer ferment out, then crash to lagering temp.

Well, try it both ways and see what you like. If I wanted to turn around a quick beer, I wouldn’t choose a lager. Not sure I agree with the commercial breweries comment, but that’s just me.

I also like to do decoctions with lagers. :mrgreen:

Thanks Denny for the article. Guide lines I don’t have write down… I’m not trying to push out beer, I can do that with an ale, rather, I’m going to find out why so many of you like lagers… The stuff I buy/get up here just doesn’t have much going on… I will find out , IFN I can brew a good lager, AND when its right out of the gate fresh, is it better than box stuff! This W/E I will be getting my yeast and other related supplies and let the fun begin! Thank you to all, I will keep this post going through this endeavorment. Sneezles61 :cheers:

I have had great results using a method similar to Brulosophy’s. Precise temp control over the first 4-5 days are the most critical with lager yeasts. I’ve made really clean beers with lager yeasts ramping up to 65 QUICKLY after that initial lag/growth phase.

I have noticed no difference in the step-down vs. the true 65* → 32* cold crash.

The cleaner and more complete your primary fermentation, the less need there is for a long lagering period. Lagering is really about dropping out polyphenols/tannins and excessive yeast. The former is primarily important in lagers with melanoidin/toasted malts, and the latter can be achieved by methods other than sub-arctic temps (filtering, fining agents).

My marzen tasted pretty darned good at 2.5 weeks, made with 2206. I think a lot of the flavor preference at 10-12 weeks is related to the brewer’s anticipation of drinking the beer!

I agree Pietro, the cold ramp isn’t really necessary if it is done fermenting.

Sneezles, if your first attempt is subpar try again. It’s kind of like when you first started brewing, you will get better at it.

I am hoping to get a glimpse of whats to come by doing a 2.5 gallon batch as I get my yeast cake larger for the next batches to come…. I am wanting to go get the supplies right now, but know It will need to wait a couple more days… Its just like when I first started brewing, anxiousness sets in, sleepless night thinking through grain bills and schedules… All in do time. Thank you! Sneezles61

Well back from the brew store, didn’t handle smack packs! I settled on whites 833 bock lager, and my special grains where vanguard brand. I haven’t heard of vanguard, but usually order them from NB so they may have sent some in the past. Well, I’ve got some yeast to grow! Sneezles61

833 is a really good yeast. I’m brewing a series of lagers with 838 Southern German lager right now, that’s also a fantastic yeast.

I think you meant 2206, which is a good yeast. I just finished up a series of beers with it. I’m now on to wlp838. Only brewed 2 beers with it, neither are ready yet, but it’s a great yeast from what I’ve had of a friend who brewed a bunch of beers with it recently.

I think you meant 2206, which is a good yeast. I just finished up a series of beers with it. I’m now on to wlp838. Only brewed 2 beers with it, neither are ready yet, but it’s a great yeast from what I’ve had of a friend who brewed a bunch of beers with it recently.[/quote]
I think he meant “I’m a reasonably intelligent spam bot that can create a post that is hard to detect as spam, now CLICK ON MY LINK”.

I think you meant 2206, which is a good yeast. I just finished up a series of beers with it. I’m now on to wlp838. Only brewed 2 beers with it, neither are ready yet, but it’s a great yeast from what I’ve had of a friend who brewed a bunch of beers with it recently.[/quote]
I think he meant “I’m a reasonably intelligent spam bot that can create a post that is hard to detect as spam, now CLICK ON MY LINK”.[/quote]
Yes I deleted the post and banned him or it.

Yumping ya hosafits! Spam bots! I’ve slowed up a bit due to funerals, yet, yeast is started. I am eager to get this well underway. So, when I do my first lager, I will do a BIAB and now that I employ a pump would I lift the bag and recirc over the grist as the temp raises? Sneezles61

Alright then, a reply to my lager yeast trials… I did two lager to build up to my finale today. I do enjoy these lagers and so do my friends… I will comment though, mine started out a bit grain-strong on the tongue, as it lagered it settled down nicely. I will do a lager next year now too! I will round off the lager season with a Doppelbock, and need to ask. After I rack off the primary lager in the keg, for a few months, will I run a foul to bottle and THEN cellar in a 60* basement? I’m doing 8 gallons and just don’t think I need all of it in a keg on tap. Sneezles61