Hops/Glycocides/Yeast with Beta-Glucosidase

Thanks, thinking add the oats and maybe drop the addition of C40. Maybe something like this for 5gal:
6 lbs 2 row
1 lb white wheat
8 oz carawheat
8 oz oats

I don’t want the C40 to add enough sweetness that it over shadows my hops and yeast character… I will be using centennial and zythos.

The recipe above looks real solid. I agree with the omission of the c40. Doesn’t really have a good purpose in a beer like this. I may experiment with a similar recipe soon.

I agree, that looks great! Never used zythos- what kind of hop schedule do you think you’ll use?

Did the recipe above Friday. Used centennial and zythos. Hop schedule was .1oz of each as FWH, .5 oz each at 5 mins, .5 oz each at 2 mins, .5 oz each for a 30 min whirlpool. Will DH with 1 oz each. As you can see most of the IBUS come from the late additions and the whirlpool hops.

I never used zythos before but I had a pound laying around and I think zythos descriptor would work well as long as I get the yeast to perform like I want it. It’s bubbling away right now at 68° ambient (72° actual).

Let me ask you guys… Is this yeast slow to start? Made a starter that didn’t seem to want to take off.

Also got a SMASH IPA in with 2 row and centennial. It was a long day. :sunglasses:

how much yeast did you pitch?

I pitched a 1 month old vial into a 1L starter using this method:

[shaken not stirred starter link][1]

The starter took awhile to kick off. I pitched at high krausen and the lag time was virtually non-existent. Oddly enough it fermented like mad and really was much slower this morning. In addition to very little bubbling out of the air lock the ferm temp has dropped as well indicating that it is already entering the clean up phase. Different from what I have read.

I think part of the problem is that White Labs packages these with the same (pathetically low) cell counts that they use with their brettanomyces vials. Some of the comments about it being slow to ferment are probably people pitching it in primary without a starter. You probably handled it right by pitching at high krausen, and the little beasties started kicking butt and taking names right out of the gate. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes awhile to drop those last few points, though - it seems to stay in suspension forever!

Really Pork? I came home tonight to find the krausen had dropped from about 2 1/2" to about an inch.

I do agree that it didn’t appear to have much slurry in the vial. I too would assume that it is packaged with a low cell count, similar to their Brett.

I know it’s not ready and I fully expected it to take awhile to reach FG. It’s just not what I read so a bit surprised. I figure I’ll just give it a full 2 weeks primary before even checking the gravity.

thats a pretty warm fermentation temp (not saying its too warm, I truly don’t know the optimal temp for this yeast), but it would point to why its tearing through pretty quickly. I think I held fermentation temp at 68* for 4 days, then ramped to 74, and it was around 92% attenuation after 10-14 days IIRC.

@pietro so it will finish rather quickly compared to traditional Brett beers? That’s comforting as I didn’t want to wait 2-3 more months just for it to finish. Yeah it got a bit warm. Puts all those naysayers to bed that say there is NO WAY that beers will raise more than 2°- 3° above ambient. This easily raised 4°-5° and was only 1.047 OG. Can you imagine what a 1.070+ OG would do!

Mine was done at around the 3-week mark. It just takes sooooo long to flocculate unless you give it a cold crash.

100% brett beers really only take 3-4 weeks in my experience. It’s when you do a mixed sacch/brett fermentation that you’re looking at a 3-month ferment, as it takes a long time for the brett to finish the longer chain sugars and intermediate metabolites that sacch produces.

+1 to the above. Sacc trois behaves quite a bit like a brett yeast, hence the original name. I believe I cold-crashed mine right around the 3-week mark.

Sounds good gentleman. Thanks for the insight!

I bottled my dirty dozen batch this past weekend. Gravity was 1.003, so there’s a chance it could drop a few more points. There were plenty of tropical fruit notes in there, but seemed somewhat muted. I’m sure carbonation will help. It was starting to clear nicely before dry-hopping, but it was completely milky from the hops when I bottled. The last two all-brett IPAs I’ve done were pretty rough and grassy when I bottled them, and this was certainly no exception. I think the low gravity shows it more than with a more typical IPA, but they really seem to smooth out in the bottle and the hop flavors and aromas start to shine after a couple of weeks. We’ll see if it holds true with this batch as well.

In the meantime, I started a higher gravity (1.080) batch with 644 with centennial, citra, and cascade. Aroma from the airlock is insane with this one!

Getting ready to keg mine today. I too noticed it being very murky. I see where it’s flocculation is ‘low’ but it didn’t look like it wanted to flocculate at all! I cold crash it to help get some out of suspension as well as all the dry hop matter that might have escaped from the bag. Really looking forward to a sample.

Took my FG tonight, 1.008. Not too shabby with the wheats/oats. Doesn’t seem all that fruity. But the sample was cold and flat so I’m hoping a little carbonic acid and warming it up will release those flavors.

I hit mine with some gelatin and it cleared it up beautifully. A bottle bottled off the keg a year later had amazing stone/tropical fruit character.

I question to if I had enough contact area for the DH. Oh well, only time will tell. I will likely reuse the yeast anyway so… :smirk:

You had 2oz total for the dry hops? It may be worth punching that up a little, I generally have something in the 4-6oz range.