Help with an IPA

Sounds like a good plan for dry hopping. It’s something I’ve never really done yet so I’m open to advice.

Tossed the MO, I was putting it in because I use it in most of my recipes because I like the taste, but you make a good case for not using it here. Bumped up the pale 2-row to make up for it. Any particular reason why you would use less C-40? Right now it’s at 7.4% of the grist.

With 2 oz of NB for bittering, it gets me to 49.7 IBU working with the NB I have on hand (9% AA).

And yes, I had a hope that by going my own way with this it would turn out to be an IPA that I would actually like.

Thanks for the input!

Ok, that is a good level of IBU’s from the bittering charge, maybe a bit on the high side, but it should be good (I usually like to get no more than half of the total IBU from the bittering addition, but I despise bitter IPA’s).

I personally think too much crystal makes the beer to caramelly. Good for certain styles, but not the way I like IPA’s. 7.4% of the grist is a good number. You can always increase it if you find it is lacking in malt character, but I don’t think that will be the case. 60min is a pretty light colored beer without much in the caramel department.

Its funny though, in drinking IPA’s from the midwest (Chicago, MPLS, even Cleveland), I do find that IPAs from a lot of great breweries in those cities are way more caramelly than I personally like. I’ve also heard of people running into the opposite problem when entering competitions (ie California homebrewer enters and IPA in a Cincinnati comp, gets feedback that the beer isn’t malty enough) Regional preference I suppose.

Good luck!

For 5 gallons I’d go with:
.5 lb 40L
Enough 2-row to get you to 1.062 (probably around 13 lbs)
Bitter with .7oz of Magnum for 60m
At flameout add 5 to 6 oz of oily american hops (mosaic, centennial, citra, simcoe, equinox, chinook, etc)
Ferment with US-05 at 66-68
Dry hop with 4 oz of oily american hops.
THAT is an American IPA. Lose the fuggles.

1 Like

I think you skipped right to reply, lol, I changed the recipe to reflect feedback as I got it, but I didn’t go back and edit the first post so that everyone could see where I started. What you recommend isn’t much different than where I’m at with it now.

11# Pale 2-row
1# Munich
1# Caramel 40 ---- 7.4% of grist
0.5# Flaked oats ---- 3.7% of grist

1.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 ---- 43.5 IBU
2 oz Citra @ 5 ---- 13.2 IBU
1 oz Cascade @ 5 ---- 3.5 IBU

1 oz Citra - dry hop for 5 days
1 oz Cascade - dry hop for 5 days

OG: 1.070
IBU: 60.2
SRM: 8.8

Medium body mash, batch sparge.
Dry hop amounts are total, use 0.5 oz of each together for 5 days followed by the second 0.5 oz of each for 5 days.

That will work, your brother will like it and maybe you will to. Not overly bitter and the citra and cascade will be nice. Not sure what the flaked oats would add but give it a shot.

@brew_cat do you bitter your IPAs to 40+ IBU? WIth a very similar grain bill I bitter at 26. The balance of my 60+ IBU come from FW, FO, whirlpool and DH. 43 IBU bittering sounds pretty bitter to me. Of course i’ve never bittered wtih Northern Brewer.

Yes I do with magnum for 40 then the rest I layer in for 70 total. That’s were I like it

I think with a pound of caramel malt it will tame down the bittering hop, certainly ifn it sits well over a month…. Sneezles61

Pietro I agree with you of the, any style PA styles up around here in Mn. We have one that is a go to fer me up here from rush river brewing called bubble jack, I think it may have honey in it! Sneezles61