Grass Metallic Taste, need help

Yes oxygen in your bottles is one of the main enemies we are all battling. Oxygen in the bottles leads to oxidation that gives, by all accounts, a cardboard taste. StarSan is truly one step for this purpose and you have turned One Step into two steps because of the need to wash it out.

I would rack to your other lbk and batch prime the whole thing with the right amount of pasteurized sugar.

You might be onto something there. And you’re correct, the risk is pretty low post fermentation. Is there any way to fit a piece of tubing onto the spigot? Or replace the spigot with one intended for a bottling bucket? Especially hoppy beers, you want to minimize oxygen exposure any way you can. If you can fit a piece of tubing on your spigot and a bottling wand on the other end of the tubing (keep the tubing short, like 4 inches), it makes filling a piece of cake with minimal agitation. I use cane sugar for every batch, and is pretty much equivalent to corn sugar. Slight volume/weight differences, so if you prime a whole batch, make sure you check a priming calculator to compensate for the differences. But they’ll both carbonate just fine with either.

[quote=“porkchop, post:62, topic:25998”]
tubing on your spigot and a bottling wand
[/quote]This can work on his LBK that’s how I started.
@Doc, It’s worth the $3.39 investment.

Page 361 New edition “how to brew” too much sodium leads to mineral/metallic taste. Sneezles61

[quote=“sneezles61, post:64, topic:25998”]
too much sodium leads to mineral/metallic taste
[/quote]Hmm that’s surprising [said while salting a tomato]

Perhaps the acidity AND the sweetness counters your salt… Sneezles61

Your man cave is upstairs? That’s cool

Bingo

Get a bottle wand

32oz of Star San has arrived, so I am in the process of brewing Kama Citra Session IPA, using distilled water.

1 Like

All brewed and chilling in the fermentation chamber, at 62F. The Kama Citra will stay in the primary for two weeks before being transferred to the secondary.

Damn it does smell good.

I realized I can use the Star San the same as I have been using One Step, by using 6ml of Star San to a gallon of water. Should be much cheaper and it does not make my hands slippery.

3 Likes

Don’t fear the foam…&:wink:

I remember when my neighbor first showed me StarSan.
I was thinking, dude, you have to rinse that out…
lol

I was of course incorrect.

It really is pretty economical, when you consider how much you use per gallon. A container lasts a long time. Especially if you save it in a glass jug, it stays good for quite awhile.

5 gallon bucket with a lid… Sneezles61

That is a thought, I have an old glass growler I could keep it in

Yes and I feel blessed. Big screen, driving simulator, weightlifting station, work bench, good size gun safe and a fermentation chamber.

And put some Star San in a spray bottle. You’ll be surprised how much stuff you spray during brewing, bottling/kegging, etc.

1 Like

I am sure, as I go along, I will be implementing many of these suggestions. I have been using Sterilite 16 Qt storage bins, mix a gallon of sanitizing solution, in it, and place the equipment in the solution. Pour some solution, from the bin, into the fermenters to sanitize them.

You have an extra fermenter with a spigot. Just store the Starsan in that. This way the fermenter is always ready to go and you can take some off via spigot whenever you need to fill a spray bottle to sanitize bottles. When it comes time to rack then transfer, clean primary, and dump the Starsan into the washed primary. You can do this a few times.

1 Like

I did take some advice and let a local home brewer sample what I had. He was able the pick out the gains and hops used. He also said it was just a touch over carbonated and being at the upper range of the screwy brewer’s recommendation, this is no surprise.

The big thing was he was not getting the flavors, I was getting. He said he was tasting oxygen in the samples, while finishing each sample off saying they were not bad at all.

I have been advised to skip the secondary and cold crash for this batch. Anything which could introduce oxidation because this just maybe what I am tasting.

So, this is what I have planned for the IPA, which is in the fermenter.

The fermentation of the IPA has been kept at 62F and seems happy, so I will keep it their.

Day 14 in the fermenter, dry hop, using a sanitized hop sack weighted with a 1 inch glass cat’s eye. Again making sure everything is sanitized and gently place the hop sack in the LBK.

Just plan to skip the cold crash with this one and if the beer is drinkable, will brew another batch cold crashed, to compare the difference.

Day 21 rinse my already clean bottles and sanitize them with Star San. I have some corn sugar left, so I am going to prime with both corn sugar and table sugar.

Bottle using my new bottling wand.

Cap and store at 73F for four weeks.

3 Likes