Grass Metallic Taste, need help

I have been using the same one step sanitizer for a little while now, I rarely cold crash… but I have stopped doing extracts. I use a bottling bucket, poured straight from the spigot to the bottle. I have yet to experience any trouble this way.

Is it at all possible that these plastic bottles or lbk’s are not all that good to keep using? I have friends who have used the mr beer kits, and while I’m not a fan of the process or outcomes, I’m really unenthusiastic about the equipment. PET always degrades over time no matter what you do. Now, i can’t see how it could add a metallic taste… and I know they’re easy to use, but it seems as if you have changed almost every other variable besides this. Personally, if I were you I’d try glass bottles next time. This comes from no experience or knowledge, just trying to isolate possible causes and check them off one-by-one.

1 Like

I’ve been following this and I’m confused also. Aged beer shouldn’t get a bad taste unless it was there all along but masked by the freshness of the hops that will fade with time. I would get rid of those plastic bottles I missed that’s what your using. Don’t know about extract twang because I don’t have experience with it but I have heard some newer brewers can get it.

Generally speaking those “rules” are a decent guideline for a 1.060 or lower ale. I’ve seen worse guidelines. Last set of instructions I saw in a NB beer kti were certainly worse.

Putting your beer on a timeline is not good brewing practice. We all do it at times for various reasons but if you don’t use a hydrometer you’ll never really know for sure when fermentation is complete.

I’m with @brew_cat re the bottles and all your plastics as I mentioned above.

Stainless. stainless. stainless… (its kinda a chant!) I follow Go Big blue… He’s paid attention… Now, I’ve some fabulous APA then needs to be quaffed! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

I am not sure I am buying PET bottles are bad and are leaching bad flavors into my beer. I mean PET bottles are used by manufacturers, from all over the world, to package their beverages, be it water, soda, beer, sports drinks, vodka, whisky and the list goes on and on. And to my knowledge I can say I have ever seen any documentation of PET causing bad flavors. Also would it not be true the bad flavors should appear even if the bottle is refrigerated ( will have to wait on one to make it to the four week mark in the refrigerator to find out).

I started with Mr. Beer kits in their PET bottles and still have them in my closet. I use them as mini-growlers when I take beers. I bottle off my kegerator and those stay in the bottles less than a week. With proper care, I’ve never had any issues with mine and I’ve had them in rotation for almost 10 years. I used to bottle exclusively in them when I started.

Here is a Handy little link from @dmtaylo2 from a while back regarding getting the best out of your extract brews that I always found very informative and helpful.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

I don’t know about your PET bottles to be honest. Plastic tends to hold onto flavors and some infections even after cleaning and sanitizing. I was referring more to your plastic brewing equipment but I wouldn’t rule out anything until the issue is resolved.

Yea I’m not sure about anything that could be causing it, it was just an idea. You had tried various other things, I figured you could try that.

And yes, many companies use PET bottles, but they only use them one time. It is known that washing and reusing plastic bottles can have weird effects. They are made for one use only but we often use them many times. Normally it is not a problem, but who knows in this case? Figured you could try

I only said not to use them because eat cheapens the presentation of course unless your going boating IMO

PS I’m kinda a beer snob

1 Like

I am too brew_cat and I say that with Pride…

OOOHHH, not being a stooge either, but they are one way use item… Thats all I will say. Sneezles61

I would suggest trying another Mr Beer kit to see how it turns out. Since you’re familiar with them it would help differentiate if it’s the kits, equipment, or a processing issue.

1 Like

I brewed another batch of Kama Citra making just a few changes from the first batch I did.

Late extract additions at flame out.
Day 14 in the fermenter dry hopped.
Day 21 started the three day cold crash ( the hops left in the fermenter ).
Day 25 bottled.
8 days in the bottle at 73F, then into the refrigerator.

Results: More citrus hop punch and a much reduced haze look. This is an awesome brew and I really like it with Greek Mediterranean food.

At the three week point in refrigerator no weirdness, just great beer.

2 Likes

Could you pour a pint and send it this way? :sunglasses: Sneezles61

I realized I only have three bottles left and I am saving them for the MLB playoffs. Sorry can not help you.

I have an Irish Red going in the bottle tomorrow and will be brewing a Fresh Squished recipe Tuesday.

“The Rules” based on numbers of days are totally the wrong approach. Let the yeast do most of the talking for you.

3 Likes

OK guys I have not abandon this thread yet, but it takes time to re-brew all the failed brews I have brewed in the past. First off I have to say I have been drinking everything that I have been brewing since disregarding the advice I was using in the past ( read previous post ).

The last brew I have recreated is Caribou Slobber Brown Ale, which I am drinking as I type and damn, it is good. I was so looking forward to the Caribou Slobber when I first brewed it however it was very much un-drinkable.

Since I last posted the only thing I have really added to my brew process is the irish moss. I have been using a heaping 1/4 teaspoon 15 minutes prior to flame out. When I place my kettle in the ice bath, I give the wort a big stir and wait 30 mins before transferring the wort into the fermenter. Since using the Irish moss and at the end of the ice bath there has been a grey mass at the center of the kettle ( I call it " The Brain " ). I have been making sure NOT to get any or very little of The Brain into the fermenter. The results have been very clear and tasty beer.

So other than the irish moss there’s been no change to your process or ingredients that you can point to as the “fix”?

Make sure to not splash the wort too much until it cools down. The re introduced o2 could contribute to oxidation at such high temps. I’ve stopped shaking the bucket even after cooling and haven’t had any issues with yeast taking off…that being said YMMV if you are doing a massive gravity beer.