Garden Plans

I had Concord grapevines grafted onto old Muscadine rootstock (by the University of Florida) that did very well here in humid east central Florida. Still doing well at the old house I would guess.

In Costa Rica we saw blue plastic bags over banana bunches on a plantation. I guess they protect them from insects and promote growth. There are a couple of banana trees I see on our dog walk down here but the bananas don’t seem to get very big.

Interesting side note. They also brewed their own beer there. I was skeptical but it was actually very good.

1 Like

Well i ferment all my fruits. I would probably ferment those bananas as well. I was talking to a fella who moved down there and planted a bunch of banana plants. Said he went door to door giving them away to all his neighbors.

The other plan I have is to put up a fruit stand at the bottom of my driveway. I don’t know when it started maybe because of the pandemic everyone got into homesteading . It seems like an awful lot of people have stands out selling all manor of goods. Much more than before

To get good fruit from a banana plant, with our sandy poor soil requires heavy fertilization and regular watering. Best tip I got was to put grass clippings around the plant.
I also see a lot of volunteer/wild bananas that have escaped cultivation and they always look ratty and small.

I’ve dis-mantled our big fenced in garden… I’m going to start on a small scale… in retirement, I didn’t want to tend to that big of a garden… time for sumptin a bit more conservative …
Sneezles61

1 Like