Garden Plans

Although a vigneron can also be a vintner as well

The wife had peas and beans and some peppers planted but we may have lost some due to frosting recently. She and my daughter have been out dilligently covering it nightly. We may do some cherry peppers again this year and jar up some hot mix (pickled peppered veggies essentially), love that stuff. One of my hop bines is halfway up the rope already, I’m afraid the other may have not made it through the winter as it has zero activity in the box.

:beers:
Rad

The peas will do fine in cold weather… beans and peppers… well… perhaps the covering may help…
Sneezles61

I seldom plant before cinco de Mayo because an old farmer who used to live by us said that’s the earliest date he ever planted to avoid a late freeze or frost. Always seemed late to me but he was right almost every year. We had freezing temps just a few days ago then it was 85 tuesday. You’re a little north of me so I’d say the girls were a little early with the beans and peppers but may be safe from here on out.

2 Likes

I started altering the garden boxes today… Geez have I softened up… Blisters… good thing I’ve a few more weeks to finish up…
Sanitizer really smarts!! :fearful:
Sneezles61

The vineyard is laid out. I cut and set cedar posts. Took out the sod. I have the vines and grow tubes coming next week. I have an appointment at a reisling vinyard out by the finger lakes next week to pick the vignerons brain. Pruning cabling and what not. Trying to figure out bracing

5 Likes

You can graft other grapes onto the same stock and get blended growth.

These are grafted vines Mosel reisling on roots apparently chosen for my area.

Wires at about 5’, espalier style for the arms?
The fanciest grape I can grow over here are Marquette red grapes… they have a powerful flavor…
I’ll watch as you grow!
Sneezles61
EDIT: I see you have wabbits back again… Our local fox has been quite busy… 2 wiley wabbits deceased in the last week…

No im going vertical shoot training so ill need the first cable at 30" then 3 more 15"s apart. I believe. I’ll narrow it down when i talk to the vigenor. European grapes are trained this way

1 Like

Got the H post bracing in and 1st wire run. Vines and grow tubes coming tomorrow

1 Like

How long of rows?
Sneezles61

25’ x 3 rows

9 or 12 plants?
I have my couple at 10’ apart… but then space is limited… 4 of them…
Another few vines way out back that I don’t tend to… they are of the concord variety… Crawling way up the red pines… I harvest the fruit once in a few years… It makes me feel like Tarzan… swinging from the vines to get them out of the pines… 30’ up…
Way back when I first was brewing/fermenting stuff, I got almost 2 gallons from the concords… ABV came in at 14% :dizzy_face:… I had “grape mittens” from crushing them by hand… :joy: I learned.
Sneezles61

These Riesling apparently are alot of work. We’ll see i have some purple grapes growing on the fence around the pool. Just wild grapes ive tried to tame. Makes good jelly. Maybe next year I’ll put in table grapes.

2 Likes

Those tall posts will receive some bird houses?
Sneezles61

Probably. I have a lot of nesting bluebirds and tree swallows. I’ll at least even them up after i install the other rows of wire. Im drinking a beer now and figuring the removable catch wire. I guess I’ll attach it to 1 end with a carrabiner on the other so i can unhook it swing it out and catch up the vines. I’ll then clip it to the main.

This is how i take up the tension.

So the other end is with the carbiner? I wonder how the electric fence spring loaded handle would work? Just an idea…
Your soil doesn’t look like red clay… Gravel-y… like ours…
Sneezles61

No i will attach it to the other end then jus snap the carbineer on the eye. Probably need some inline posts but they won’t need to be as substantial. Have an appointment at a vinyard Saturday I’ll keep my eyes peeled and pick their brains

1 Like