Critique my Oktoberfest

I can see why you would be tempted to put a little rye in the grist, it has the potential to impart a little crispness although that amount is not going to do all that much, it will just add nuance. I personally try to get just a slight bit of toast in my version so I add a bit of bisquet malt. I also don’t care for sweet beer so I keep the crystal type malts down and push the malt flavors by doing a double decoction and try very hard to get good attenuation. Another trick you can try is boiling down the first runnings although that can produce some caramel flavors as can a decoction I suppose. I also don’t hop as much as you did although when you lager 6 months like that some of the bitterness is going to drop off. I’ve also got some medium hard water here so I suspect I can get away with less hop and still achieve the same effect as somebody who is brewing with soft water. I would have to agree that any green apple is the result of fermentation. Just reading through the post I bet you could eliminate that by running a bit colder, I usually set up at 48F then once the majority of the beer is fermented do a diacetyl rest which gets rid of any problems plus help ensure maximum attenuation.

This coming weekend I’ll be doing a Munich Helles. Besides liking that style it also allows me to build up a bunch of yeast for the O’fest I’ll do in a couple of weeks. I also just recently purchased a chest freezer which will allow me to lager at much cooler temperatures than I could before; I’m very excited to see what effect that has on my lager operation. :smiley:

I like your grain bill and I like your yeast choice. While not traditional, it’s not wildly out of category either. My problem is with your IBU…I think it’s too bitter for an o’fest. I believe 20-25 would be more appropriate.

It doesn’t taste bitter to me but that could be me. Next year I may tweak the recipe. Add some Vienna and back off on the ibu s. That should make everyone happy. Ive only had little sips. Breaking it out for the party tomorrow , I’ll see how it goes over.

Served it at my Oktoberfest party yesterday and it was very popular. It was actually the first keg to kick.

Awesome, good to hear! Your pictures certainly look like a delicious lager. The color is right for the more traditional Oktoberfest as is mine. See Dave’s post about the lighter colored styles on one of these threads. :cheers: