Brewers out on the east coast

Well snowing again but not brewing. I’m making yogurt instead. Kinda like making a kettle sour

yup… just ran the snowblower at 11AM and had about 10 inches on the driveway. And the heavy stuff has not started yet. Supposed to go wayyyy into the night and early morning tomorrow. Looking for about 18 inches here they say, but from what I can see and seeing it is only 12:30 pm now, I bet we will get more than 20".
I have a NEIPA still in the primary, a Kama Citra on the gas getting slow carbed… and still have a bit of Irish Red and Festivus Miracle Ale on the kegerator taps.

I have to start thinking about what to brew next.

1 Like

Missed this thread from last week. We lost power in the wee hours of 3/2 and got it back around 7pm on 3/4. It was a cold weekend.

Had a few flurries last night but nothing else. Just blustery and cold today. Winter can move along now. I’ve had my fill.

Plan on brewing Ofest tomorrow and if I get my new crock I’ll start curtido as well.

You guys hang on… it will blow over and just be a memory in a few days… Brew Cat, you wear many hats… Yes, Old Man Winter has worn out his welcome now… Wait til July… I will be anxious… Sneezles61

We got about a foot here today. Nothing special, just a late winter day. Got the broom out and swept away the big piles. Should be gone in a month or so, just in time for morel season.

Stay warm out east, it sucks to be without a furnace i this weather!

Here we go again. Our weekly noreaster. Gotta brew again when the wind dies down. Got to boil some sap down also.

How has the sap been? It’s late March and I don’t even have 5 gallons yet…

So I gotta ask, is this truly different than you remember @brew_cat , or is this just what you’ve always had(and we’re falling prey to this naming fetish and hype the media has developed “here comes WINTER STORM MAURITIUS !!”)
I remember bad winters growing up in the Midwest, what we called cold fronts, Alberta Clippers, snow storms, but…is this different/worse?

Dont forget el nino.

Yea they’re saying we could get 8-12" here over the next 24 hours. Guess I’m not brewing tomorrow…

I don’t remember snowstorms having names so much. Hurricanes did. I remember we didn’t have enough snowstorms. I remember the busses would have chains on the tires

2 Likes

I’ve lived my whole 59 years in W. Lower Michigan except for some time at good ol’ NMU in Marquette. Seems like the storms are less severe nowadays but get the hype of “snowmageddon”. As a kid riding the bus to school, we’d get stuck and the bus driver would have all the older kids get off and push. We still get the Alberta Clippers but now have Polar Vortexes too. Where I live we get lots of lake effect and it’s not uncommon for a foot to fall overnight or in an afternoon. My dad had a snowplowing business growing up. There were days we’d have to plow the same place 2 or 3 times. I remember being snowed in and schools closed for a week. Seems like we’ve not been snowed in for quite a number of years.

1 Like

Naming fetish for winter storms has to do with ZOMG global warming/climate change hysteria message being pushed everywhere in my humble opinion. I about died laughing when they described a Noreaster as a bomb cyclone earlier this year. :joy: We had the blizzard of 98 and several other big storms growing up that weren’t named. Used to be hurricanes were only named storms. That being said, my daughter’s name is Stella so to have a snowstorm named after her last year that dumped 24" of snow on grammy in NE PA was something she was very proud of. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

We still get dumped on up here, but those kinds of storms only happen every few years. Worst I’ve seen recently was getting 48" of snow in 48 hours… in April. That just about shut the schools down for a week!

1 Like

When I was at NMU they shut down the university for a storm. Luckily we lived right next to a party store. I also remember (1981 I think.) studying for finals on the deck in my shorts and no shirt, getting sunburned and waking up the next morning to a couple of inches of fresh snow! Michigan’s UP - 9 months of winter and three months of bad sledding.

1 Like

We still get big storms but when I was younger very few people had 4wheel drive. Most of the plows we’re mounted on surplus Willies. Everyone has a 4x4 now. There was about a ten year drought of snow storms but we seem to getting hit again.

1 Like

Hurricanes seem to do more damage though. Sandy and Gloria come to mind. My younger sister was born right after Diane. My father wanted to name her Diane mom wouldn’t have it. Would have been an appropriate name

1 Like

Going to brew today. Noreaster spins counter clockwise my garage door faces southwest. Perfect

1 Like

In my neck of the woods, we seem to get those nuisance snow falls, 2-4" every other day… Not enough to snow blow… So it all becomes a skating rink… But as of the last 10-15 years, that shows up AFTER a polar vortex (really cold) blows through, freezes up all the septic systems… So then we get a nice insulating blanket of snow… It sure helps to keep the frost in the ground even longer!.. You guys out east are quite hardy… to put up with all these storms with names… BE SAFE! Sneezles61

1 Like

Brewed an imperial IPA yesterday during the snow storm that hit central PA. Got 20 inches here

1 Like