Brew house efficiency

well I may have found the heart of the issue…

I used two credit cards as a gauge. measured with a caliper, this came out to be 0.064. To get the wheels to be equal distance apart (credit cards went through, but pushing them through the gap made the handle spin, no marking on the cards), one distance wheel read about 0.075 and the other read a hair below 0.05. So… these aren’t aligned, and if I had set them both to be about 0.0375, one side had to be WAY too close

1 Like

You must have an older çereal killer @dannyboy58 my cereal killer has a similar knob

Ahhh haaa. That one which was way to close would create a lot of flour. Not to mention that even if one side was accurate the rollers would angle causing it to get tighter and tighter.

1 Like

exactly my thought!

Once I get my feeler gauge, I’m going to set the wheels to both be 0.0375 and see what the gap REALLY is. will report back

2 Likes

You are a more patient man than I. I would pack that thing up and ship it straight back. Poor quality control and workmanship don’t speak well to how well the mill will last.

Hmmmm…maybe I don’t have a cereal killer? I thought that’s what it was…First mill was a barley crusher, I think…now you got me wondering…probably shouldn’t disparage that one if I’m not sure of the name huh?

Iv checked mine and use the knob to adjust no problem with it. Actually i found it quite convient. Its never moved once its set.

Yea my knobs just aren’t aligned properly. they stay locked in place once I tighten the screws.

NB is going to send me a replacement

1 Like

Illustration on that box looks like Frank from Cars.

5 Likes

Wow. Almost identical. I’m surprised someone isn’t getting sued over that. :joy:

1 Like

I stand corrected. My cereal killer does in fact have knobs just like that. Just never paid attention since I set it I guess…haha

The older mill is back in the corner and is a barley crusher. The knurling on the rollers went flat after about 2 years use and the non-driving roller kept sticking so i got fed up with it and bought the cereal killer. Never regretted it.

Yes! I HATED my barley crusher. Then one of the adjustment screws snapped and they wouldn’t honor their warranty. I bought a JSP mill which I LOVE. Best thing that ever happened to my milling. Thanks barley crusher! :joy:

2 Likes

My JSP had a real small hopper it came with… replaced it with a hand made bigger one… I’ll bet mine is a couple years away from 20 now…?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeah I too made a bigger one. Sadly they’re not made anymore but mine is easily 15 years and doesn’t skip a beat!

2 Likes

My JSP has to be that old and then some. Also never skips a beat. I still struggle along with the original hopper and shoveling malt a little at a time.

1 Like