Apple Cider season

How did you get head on a cider? Besides the high carbonation I mean. Did you add protein? Did you hang an ornery old rooster in the fermenter?

2 Likes

No I didn’t add anything this is pure cider from apples and was wondering when someone would ask. Unless it has something to do with freezing the fruit which I can’t imagine. When I serve it from the the picnic tap after the glass is halfway full I throttle back the tap to a concentrated spray. It gives that nice aromatic head. What surprised me was its longevity.

1 Like

Maybe the yeast?

I’ve used many different yeasts in cider this is by far the best Ive found.

I may have stumbled on to something while researching your question. Regular juice has .15 g of protein per glass. From concentrate .30 grams. I blended so maybe mine has .25g. Also an article I was reading said some varieties have more protein than others. I ued alot of Arkansas Black maybe 30%. I used pectic enzyme which is a protein as well.

1 Like

I’ll always enjoy a champagne style of cidre.
You said yers is set at 20 psi’s? Maybe I’ll bump up my next one… I’ve set mine about 15 psi’s.
Sneezles61

This is not as dry as champagne in the least. More body more residual flavor nice tannins from the Arkansas Blacks. No sugar added. Ive got some other cider varieties planted but they are not on line yet. This year 10 gallons would probably be 15 if not for freezing the fruit. Also 2 gallons of ice perry. I think the Perry would work as a champagne. I bottled it with corks but never waxed the cork so not enough gas. Next year’s will be kegged

1 Like