Nearly had a breakdown yesterday!
Whew…was all set to rack from the fermenter to a few bottles for saving and into the keg with the rest.
First thing that really caught me was the huge pile of hop debris on the surface of the beer. I used a spoont to sweep and enter point for my autosiphon, then began to fill bottles. I got one bottle filled, then noticed flow had all but stopped!
I was thinking DAMN, there is so much hops in there, I’ll never get beer out!
Well, I stopped right there…left the house to do some errands. When I got home, decided I would start by skimming the hops off the top and see what happens. I skimmed, covered. Skimmed again, covered. did that 2 more times and found the beer looked just like most other batches at that point so I tried to rack it again. This time straight to the keg with everything.
I thought for sure I’d end up with either chunky beer or kill me now, dumping it out! After it was in the keg, I tried a tip that I think MuellerBrau wrote on a post awhile ago. Stuff the bottle filling wand right in a picnic tap, set psi to about 2 and fill some bottles. Worked like a charm.
Next attempt, if this turns out good, I will either use whole hops or some sort of bag for the dry hopping with that much hops.