Your 'Go To' IPA Bittering hop?

I have used many types of hops in my IPA recipes, but I always revert back to using Chinook as my bittering hop. I just really like the flavor and aroma of it in my IPA recipes.

and you?

Columbus, Magnum, or Centennial, depending on the type of bittering I want.

Cascade

Amarillo :cheers:

Magnum, Chinook, or Both.

Magnum, Centennial, or Horizon

I understand magnum for its smooth bittering qualities, but I’m curious what’s your reasoning for Columbus vs Centennial? I’ve never used either for bittering.

[quote=“blizzardofoz63”][quote=“Shadetree”]Columbus, Magnum, or Centennial, depending on the type of bittering I want.[/quote]I understand magnum for its smooth bittering qualities, but I’m curious what’s your reasoning for Columbus vs Centennial? I’ve never used either for bittering.[/quote]Columbus adds a real bite with some dank pine while Centennial is a little more subdued in the bite and the dank and citrusy instead of piney. So these three hops cover the bases for 90% of the IPAs I make, with Chinook as a fourth option.

For me it’s any one of, or any combination of: Cluster, Bullion, Columbus, Brewer’s Gold.

Magnum

Columbus, and nugget.

I love, LOVE nugget for bittering. It’s magnum with some character.

And columbus if I want a bite.

And some times chinook. But 8 out of the 10, one of the first two mentioned.

Now you make me want to try nugget.

I have made some great ones using nugget too.

nugget, magnum, & centennial. I have used galena before.

Almost always Magnum. But, I do like centennial sometimes and have used nugget some too.

+1 more to Magnum. Clean, lots of bang for the buck, my go-to hop for bittering for all ales and lagers in my brewhouse.

Bklmt2000

Nobody has mentioned Warrior yet - why not?

I just picked up a lb to bitter a lot of upcoming batches.

My homegrown Chinooks are looking great this year, and Zeus is always a top producer, so I’m looking forward to some killer homegrown IPA’s too.

:cheers:

I’m a fan of Magnum myself, like many of the others, but I also enjoy using Summit. Wonder why nobody else mentioned it. It’s got one of the highest alphas…

cool, Thanks for the replies

A few mentioned I have not tried are

Summit
Warrior
Cluster
Bullion
Horizon

I will have to research those

and while I have used Amarillo for flavor and aroma, never for bittering.

I will look into these since hop harvest is coming soon

Add another vote for Centennial, Columbus and Magnum. But, my typical go to is Centennial.