Yeast

Newbie question,
The extract kits offer dry yeast or liquid yeast, is there any advantage to one or the other?

[quote=“jessk”]Newbie question,
The extract kits offer dry yeast or liquid yeast, is there any advantage to one or the other?[/quote]

Liquid yeast gets more fanfare from those to whom home brew is a religion.
Liquid yeast is more fun if you like playing with starters and possibly stir plates. (I do. that’s not sarcasm.)
Liquid yeast has a much wider selection of strains.

Dry yeast is more convenient. Sprinkle it in, or maybe re-hydrate it just before pitching.
Dry yeast is cheaper.
Dry yeast survives summer shipping better.

There’s a TON of info out there…

Dry yeast is easy to use. Liquid yeast has alot more variety and different strains readily available.

I myself prefer liquid cause i like making starters to get to a certain cellcount and i also like The idea of nurturing and caring for my yeast :slight_smile:

Many homebrewers prefer liquid yeast but either keep dry yeast on hand for emergencies or for impromptu brew sessions. In 15 years of brewing and probably 600+ batches, I have probably used dry yeast 5-10 times total. I think the beers come out better and more predictable with liquid and I really like the variety and character of the various liquid ale & lager strains. That said, dry yeast has come a long way and (as mentioned), it’s easier, more convenient and more strains continue to come out. Mangrove Jack’s is relatively new and more & more strains continue to come out. The best way to make sense of all of this is to make a few beers and use some dry strains and some liquid strains and see if you have a preference.

I second, third, and fourth all the previous comments. I used dry yeast this year for the first time since 1996- DanStar Belle Saison and I am impressed. Still… I like the variety of liquid yeast, especially since I do mostly lagers.

34/70 is a really good lager yeast. S-189 is also supposed to be pretty good, just hard to find. I’m waiting to hear more about Mangrove Jack’s lager yeast, hopefully it’s also a good one.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]

34/70 is a really good lager yeast. S-189 is also supposed to be pretty good, just hard to find. I’m waiting to hear more about Mangrove Jack’s lager yeast, hopefully it’s also a good one.[/quote]

I made Ken’s Home Run Red in as a lager this spring with 34/70. Turned out very nice.

Currently fermenting a vanilla porter with it. A knock off of 1554.