Yeast

Not really, I just brewed a rye bitter with Mangrove Jack M-07 and it said sprinkle. I did, it went from 1.040 to 1.008 in less than a week, and I’m anxious to bottle next week.[/quote]

Huh. Never come across their yeast, but I stand corrected.

& I’m in the same camp as rebuiltcellars: I’m generally pro-rehydration, but sometimes I can’t be arsed. Beer comes out fine either way. I think it tends to come out cleaner when I rehydrate, but I’ve also never done a split batch test or anything like that. FWIW, I also sometimes don’t bother with making a starter for liquid yeasts.

Not really, I just brewed a rye bitter with Mangrove Jack M-07 and it said sprinkle. I did, it went from 1.040 to 1.008 in less than a week, and I’m anxious to bottle next week.[/quote]

Huh. Never come across their yeast, but I stand corrected.

& I’m in the same camp as rebuiltcellars: I’m generally pro-rehydration, but sometimes I can’t be arsed. Beer comes out fine either way. I think it tends to come out cleaner when I rehydrate, but I’ve also never done a split batch test or anything like that. FWIW, I also sometimes don’t bother with making a starter for liquid yeasts.[/quote]
That’s where we differ - I ALWAYS do a starter for liquid yeast. But I have a real problem getting fresh product where I am, and I often use smack packs that most brewers in the US would just throw out because they are so old.

For smaller beers, I don’t bother with rehydrating dry yeast - there are enough cells, even allowing for half dying., but anything north of 1.040 and I rehydrate. Really big beers may get a double dose of rehydrated yeast. Probably not necessary, but after the time spent, I want to tilt things in my favor where possible.

Starters for liquid are used at the same rate - over 1,040 and I’m in the starter camp. Starters are a must for lagers, though I often make small batch step up lagers just to avoid making starters.

Try out everything and make your choice. I try to minimize effort where possible, as long as the beer is not compromised.

Good call. Full disclosure, I have the luxury of being able to drive to a good LHBS and dig through the yeast fridge to grab packets that were born yesterday. If liquid yeast’s more than a month or so past its date of manufacture I always make a starter.

Even a brand new packet of liquid yeast might not have enough cells for a 5gal batch. Depends on the OG and style of beer.

I do three gallon batches and when using a packet of liquid yeast if my OG is under 1.050 and the yeast is really fresh I’ll pitch it, otherwise I do a starter.

I have been pitching very cool and warming up to keep my fermentation temperature on the cool side and under more control. Old Dawg’s post has convinced me to re-hydrate the next time I pitch a pack of dry yeast. I have always just “sprinkled”, made a starter, pitched saved yeast, or racked onto part of a yeast cake. Sprinkling has always worked but I’ll bet following those directions and re-hydrating for the cooler temps will give me a faster start. Thanks for the info!