Yeast washing

Ok, I’ve seen the videos, sterilized the jars and filled the remains of a German Pilsener (Oktoberfest blend). Problem is the dark/light/dark layers look more like chunky white (bottom), tan, uniform white and clear tan on top. I assume the uniform white is what I want, but what the hell is below it?

Trub and break material. It’s fine to pitch, it won’t affect your beer.

Thanks! I now have one quart of the top two layers. Should be enough for next weeks Oktoberfest.

My very first attempt was from a ‘Negro Modelo’ clone…bad idea!
The dark beer harvesting is tough, more of a guessing game than anything. The trub and dead yeast still fall first so when you decant take the top 50% - 60% and you are in good shape. Truth be told, you could take it all but it kind of defeats the purpose of washing

That’s MUCH more than you need. 100-150 mL of slurry should be about right.

Edit: For 5-6 gal, that is.

[quote=“vanwagmj”]Truth be told, you could take it all but it kind of defeats the purpose of washing[/quote]Just a terminology correction - “washing yeast” involves a lowering of the pH to kill bacteria and leaves only the healthy yeast behind, “rinsing yeast” is strictly a mechanical process to separate some portion of the yeast from the trub.

So, I have now 2cm of rinsed yeast on the bottom of a quart jar and will use it this weekend. It has been two weeks since harvest. Should I make a starter and if so, how big for a 1.060 lager? Or should I just decant and add fresh, cooled wort to wake them up during my cool down phase prior to pitching?

[quote=“mschoeffler”]Or should I just decant and add fresh, cooled wort to wake them up during my cool down phase prior to pitching?[/quote]This is what I do.