Yeast Washing / Yeast Starter

Hello,

I have been thinking about doing the Wyeast washing in order to save some cash. I actually have 2 questions.

1. If I am brewing all grain can I make a yeast starter from just the grain? How much Grain should I use for something like a Burbon Barrell Porter?
  2. If I wash the yeast, decant, do I also make a starter for this “yeast cake”?

Thanks!

1. I am not sure what you mean in your first question. A starter is made in advance and is independent of the beer you are brewing other than the strain of yeast. I use the end of the second runnings of my brews as the base for my next starters. Gravity is generally 1.020 to 1.030 and when I make my starters, I add a little DME to bump the gravity to 1.035 to 1.040.

2. If the yeast cake is fresh or less than 2-3 weeks old, you should not need a starter.

[quote=“560sdl”]1. I am not sure what you mean in your first question. A starter is made in advance and is independent of the beer you are brewing other than the strain of yeast. I use the end of the second runnings of my brews as the base for my next starters. Gravity is generally 1.020 to 1.030 and when I make my starters, I add a little DME to bump the gravity to 1.035 to 1.040.

1. If the yeast cake is fresh or less than 2-3 weeks old, you should not need a starter.[/quote]

Right what I wanted to know is if I do not have any DME can I just simply make a small batch all grain that I would have from the kit…maybe 2 liters for the yeast starter before I brew. If I use the second runnings then I would have the wort (this is my first batch) sitting until the yeast kicked up in the starter…does that make sense?

You need to consider the starter and batch as two separate things. You make a starter 5-7 days before you brew. You refrigerate for two days and pour off the liquid, only adding the yeast.

So if you steal grain from a kit for a starter, your kit will suffer from lower gravity. Yes you could add DME, but if you have that, make a starter.

[quote=“560sdl”]You need to consider the starter and batch as two separate things. You make a starter 5-7 days before you brew. You refrigerate for two days and pour off the liquid, only adding the yeast.

So if you steal grain from a kit for a starter, your kit will suffer from lower gravity. Yes you could add DME, but if you have that, make a starter.[/quote]

Yeah, not enough time for a starter. You could freeze or pressure can some wort for the next brew. After I hit my volume in the BK, I continue to drain into another pot, then boil and can the wort for starters.

[quote=“mrv”][quote=“560sdl”]You need to consider the starter and batch as two separate things. You make a starter 5-7 days before you brew. You refrigerate for two days and pour off the liquid, only adding the yeast.

So if you steal grain from a kit for a starter, your kit will suffer from lower gravity. Yes you could add DME, but if you have that, make a starter.[/quote]

Yeah, not enough time for a starter. You could freeze or pressure can some wort for the next brew. After I hit my volume in the BK, I continue to drain into another pot, then boil and can the wort for starters.[/quote]

Thanks all!!

I will steal some DME from another extract kit that i have for making the starter.