So I want to brew a czech pilsner next week. I have 250ml of slurry saved from brewing this beer Nov 2014 but brewersfriend says it’s 0% viable.
I went to my LHBS for Wy 2001, pilsner urquell yeast and the only pack he had was from Nov 2013. Obviously 0% viability. He gave it to me and said at least the yeast nutrient might still be good.
I made a one gallon starter and pitched both the smack pack, which didn’t swell much after smacking, and my slurry on Thursday evening.
Today there’s a good inch of foam krauesen on top and when I swirl it it rises up about 3 inches. So much for 0 viability. I’ll step it up once and then pitch it next week.