Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast Types

Hello to all,

I am wondering if I start yeast washing how many different types of yeast do I need to keep? Can I only use yeast that exactly matches the kit I brewed prior? What happens If I use different ale yeasts that the “Kit” does not recommend? In other words can I match up a Lager yeast for any Lager kit…and can I match up a Ale kit with any Ale Yeast. Or is that going to effect the kit to the point that it will taste completely different.

Thanks!

Tim

[quote=“tbilderback”]…and can I match up a Ale kit with any Ale Yeast. Or is that going to effect the kit to the point that it will taste completely different.[/quote]Yes. And maybe, depends on the yeast strains - if you made the beer with US-05 and then tried it with WLP001, might not notice much of a difference, but with WY3711 you would definitely get a different final product.

It will absolutely create beer. Exactly like you want? Well each of the major yeast companies makes numerous Ale and Lager blends. There is a reason for that!

I typically only keep 3-4 of the strains that I use the most in the fridge washed. I also typically keep 4-5 strains in my frozen yeast bank. Everything else I buy.

I have probably about 30 strains in my yeast bank (still haven’t done the proper inventory).
So whenever I need one I just revive it and off we go. I do buy S05 and keep a stock because its cheap and neutral so when I don’t have anything active growing and i decided to brew something I just use that and it’s all good.
Each strain has its own flavor profile so anything you ferment with them will be beer, but different.

I have gone to just 4 yeasts for almost all of the styles I brew - US-05, S-04, 34/70, and WLP 800 or 830, depending on which slurry I have on hand. I reuse for up to 5 times, then start over with a strain. I think the yeast get better each time, but I fear mutation, bud scarring, or contamination, so if the yeast doesn’t look healthy in the slurry, I toss it out. Last winter I did have WLP 860 (Platinum Helles), so I will try others; the ones above are my go to yeasts, however.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com