Yeast strain question

I have a number of AG kits that are in the line-up of next beers to brew. I was mostly smart as all but one of them requires the same yeast (wyeast american ale). I yeast wash and so I am still runing off of a previous purchase and have much more left. Problem is that one that I screwed up one is my favorite beer - RIS. The RIS calls for a Scottish ale wyeast. What is gonna happen taste wise and in other ways if I go ahead and run the RIS with an Amrican ale yeast instead of the Engish ale yeast.

Thanks
Barry

[quote=“Vulkin’”]I have a number of AG kits that are in the line-up of next beers to brew. I was mostly smart as all but one of them requires the same yeast (wyeast american ale). I yeast wash and so I am still runing off of a previous purchase and have much more left. Problem is that one that I screwed up one is my favorite beer - RIS. The RIS calls for a Scottish ale wyeast. What is gonna happen taste wise and in other ways if I go ahead and run the RIS with an Amrican ale yeast instead of the Engish ale yeast.

Thanks
Barry[/quote]

You’ll get a different flavor profile and attenuation… most likely. But I say go for it. You may find you like the beer even more. If not, at least you’ll learn that you prefer it with the Scottish ale yeast.

I don’t think you will see a large difference between WY1056 & WY1728 in such a large malt forward beer. Both of them ferment clean at lower temps, WY1728 has a little more ester production at warmer temps. Wyeast also recommends both strains for RIS.

Brew it with the WY1056 and don’t look back.

[quote=“Wyeast”]WY1056 American Ale
Very clean, crisp flavor characteristics with low fruitiness and mild ester production. A very versatile yeast for styles that desire dominant malt and hop character. This strain makes a wonderful “House” strain. Mild citrus notes develop with cooler 60-66°F (15-19ºC) fermentations. Normally requires filtration for bright beers.
[/quote]

[quote=“Wyeast”]Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Our Scottish ale strain is ideally suited for the strong, malty ales of Scotland. This strain is very versatile, and is often used as a “House” strain as it ferments neutral and clean. Higher fermentation temperatures will result in an increased ester profile.
[/quote]

I was willing to gamble a bit on the taste but what did have me thinking hard was the reference in the scottish yeast to it being appropriate for “strong” beers (a RIS certainly is one).

So the WY 1056 will handle the hig gravity fine then? If so I may brew the RIS weekend after next. My next is a Speckled hiefer as I have a hoard of MBC relatives coming for my oldest daughters graduation. I already have a batch of Cream ale but it may not last till then :wink: .

I kinda want to get the RIS underway before it gets any hotter and thus more effort is required to keep it cool during primary.

Barry

WY1056 will easily go to 12% ABV, no worries in a RIS

Thanks, guys. Always better to proceed with some knowlege rather than none.

Barry

I think the biggest difference you are going to see is in the attenuation.
1056 has Attenuation: 73-77%

1728 has Attenuation: 69-73%

So your stout will finish with lower F.G, and won’t as sweet/malty with the american yeast.