Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast starter

Hello, Just wondering if i did this right, on 11/12 i made a starter of 1 cup DME, 2 qts. water, boiled 15 min. chilled to 65 degrees,added wyeast pack which was plump for 3 hrs. sat at room temp 66 degrees for 2 days made a 5 gal batch on 11/14 of Belgian grand cru with OG at 1.072 dumped entire starter in wort at 65 degrees. Did primary fermentation only Checked gravity on 12/1 came in at 1.020. did I do it right what should this Beer Finish at Thanks for all help.

It looks OK to me. But, I am still relatively new at this.

You only needed 2 cups of water. I don’t think the amount makes much difference in the starter, but will dilute your wort pitching that much.

You should shake the starter often to stir up the yeast.

You can also put the starter in the fridge for a while and the yeast will drop out of solution. Then you can decant the excess liquid. This will introduce less unneeded stuff into your beer.

You didn’t say if you used an airlock, but you shouldn’t. The yeast will do better if they get a lot of oxygen as the fermentation progresses. You can just cover the vessel with sanitized foil or, in a flask, you can use a sanitized foam stopper.

Based on your OG, 1.020 looks likely for your FG. I’d bet it will be very tasty.

It looks to me like you did everything just right. The formula I use for starters is 6 oz DME (by weight) for every 2 quarts of water. That seems to come out to exactly one cup.

Your “FG” of 1.020 is an apparent attenuation of 72% which is pretty good. It is what I’d expect if this was an extract batch or if there were a lot of unfermentables, though you can go lower with all-grain brewing, or if you add sugar. You didn’t say what yeast strain you used, but you should be able to look up what the typical “apparent attenuation” for your strain is and use that as a ballpark guess for where you might come out.

This has been fermenting for less than three weeks and is still in primary. You can try warming up the fermenter a little bit (maybe move it to a warmer part of the house) and gently rouse the yeast, maybe you’ll shave off another point or two. But if you continue to see no change in gravity for a few consecutive days, I’d say it’s ready to bottle.

I always use a airlock on my starters…less chance for a significant infection. shake up the starter really well before you pitch the yeast and you should have plenty of oxygen.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com