Yeast starter?

So I know how to make a yeast starter, but what i’m curious about is saving my yeast. I know you can put some of the yeast cake on the bottom of the fermentor and put it in a sterile jar in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Is there a way to store the yeast for greater than 2 weeks, say for a maximum of 2 months?

Thanks guys.

RH

Rinsed yeast will keep for a little while in the fridge. I’ve used rinsed yeast that’s been in mason jars, in the fridge for up to 6 months. Here’s what I do:

http://billybrew.com/yeast-washing

I like to use the yeast within 2-3 months but have used yeast that’s been 6 months old (and older). Of course the viability goes down over time so a starter is needed, but if you use it within maybe 2-3 weeks no starter is usually needed (depending on how much yeast you need). I use to save yeast for a long time but recently started dumping it when it gets to about 6 months old. At that point I’d be spending more on making a big starter with DME then just buying a new pack of yeast.

Thats awesome! Thank you so much… I’m proud to be a poor grad student brewer! This should help out in the long run. Much appreciated!

Make a starter for anything more than a month old.
Take into account for a 25% viability loss per month when making your starters.