Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast starter / wyest smack pack question

OK, I am going to start my first yeast starter later today or tonight (yea…) but I have one quick question

I have a wyeast smack pack. normally without a starter I know I would smack it, wait a day or so, then brew etc.

But now that I am doing a starter, would I still want to smack, wait awhile. or not smack it? or does it matter?

I am flexible with my time

It doesn’t matter at all. If you smack it, you have some indication if the viability before you pitch it to your starter, but that’s about it.

Doesn’t matter if you smack it or not, but you should still take it out of the fridge and let it come down to room temp before pitching into the starter wort. Slower temp changes are less stressful on the yeast than sudden ones.

So you’re not really saving any time by not smacking it. :wink:

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Doesn’t matter if you smack it or not, but you should still take it out of the fridge and let it come down to room temp before pitching into the starter wort. Slower temp changes are less stressful on the yeast than sudden ones.

So you’re not really saving any time by not smacking it. :wink: [/quote]

Actually, there’s been some evidence that pitching cold is best. If you warm it up before pitching the yeast start consuming their nutrient reserves and it’s better to have that happen in the wort. I’ve been cold pitching, both to starters and batches, for over 10 years and have had great results.

[quote=“Denny”]
Actually, there’s been some evidence that pitching cold is best. If you warm it up before pitching the yeast start consuming their nutrient reserves and it’s better to have that happen in the wort. I’ve been cold pitching, both to starters and batches, for over 10 years and have had great results.[/quote]
Interesting. I need to finish reading Yeast
http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-Fermentation-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381969/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370710185&sr=1-1&keywords=yeast

When you smack a Wyeast pack then, do you put it back in the fridge?

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“Denny”]
Actually, there’s been some evidence that pitching cold is best. If you warm it up before pitching the yeast start consuming their nutrient reserves and it’s better to have that happen in the wort. I’ve been cold pitching, both to starters and batches, for over 10 years and have had great results.[/quote]
Interesting. I need to finish reading Yeast
http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-Fermentation-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381969/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370710185&sr=1-1&keywords=yeast

When you smack a Wyeast pack then, do you put it back in the fridge?[/quote]

Sometimes, although not for the reason mentioned above. Sometimes after I smack one I discover I don’t have time to mke a starter or I won’t be able to brew for a couple weeks. Tehn it goes back in the fridge. But I seldom bother to smack them. Just put them right into the starter.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com