Yeast starter question

OK, I’m new to making yeast starters. I made my first one last thursday night the 28th. It’s for a German Alt Wyeast 1007 - OG 1.052. Now, I’m going to brew on Wednesday the 4th. So I made the starter and after a couple days i put it in the fridge (is this right?). Do i take it out on wednesday, decant and let warm up and pitch? Or is there another way to do it on brew day?

I do exactly what you wrote. I make my starter a few days before brew day. Let it ferment for 24-48hrs depending on the size. Get it in the fridge and give it another 24-48hrs to drop the yeast out. On brew day, I pour off the spent wort and let the yeast sit out to warm up to pitching temp.

Your process sounds good!

No need to let the starter warm up before pitching and there’s evidence that it’s better to pitch cold. I’ve done that for over 375 batches and it’s worked great for me.

Any idea why?

Just as a guess, the yeast are energized by the rapid change in temperature.

Any idea why?[/quote]

When the yeast start warming up, they start consuming their glycogen reserves. It’s better to have them do that in the wort, rather than before they have more food.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Is it absolutely necessary to decant? Or is that just a preferred practice by most people?

[quote=“kevin0778”]Thanks everyone for the replies. Is it absolutely necessary to decant? Or is that just a preferred practice by most people?[/quote]Depends on the volume of the starter compared to the volume of the wort and the method of making the starter - on a stirplate the beer will be nasty and oxidized, but if made like a regular beer you can certainly pitch the entire thing with little or no ill effects.

I did one cup of DME to 4 cups of water for the starter, no stir plate. And my beer is the German Alt from NB. 5 Gal

I will also be making my first starter in the next few days, so this thread has been helpful. I hadn’t thought of it 'til now, but here’s a question out of left field: Does anyone drink the wort/unhopped beer after decanting?

Anyone that has only does it once. Try it and you will find out why.

Could be useful for beer batter or distillation maybe?

Makes sense, I am the same way.