Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast Starter Overflow

Hey guys,

I’m seeking some advise. I made a yeast starter last night for my Sunday brew, and encountered some unfamiliar territory. I’ve made tons of starters, but have never had this happen. Basically, I woke up this morning, and there was about a half inch of Krausen on top in my flask, business as usually. Gave it a few shakes before leaving for work, now I just came home to find the thing overflowing and there seems to be yeast running down the sides and has accumulated at the bottom and all over my kitchen counter. My question is, is the contents of the flask still good, or do you think I lost too much yeast in the overflow?

Thanks!

I’ve never had on do that but I did one last night and I am seeing nothing. Yeast cake just sitting on the bottom, usually I see some activity. I would think what you have left inside the vessel would still be viable…

[quote=“Guyerson”]Hey guys,

I’m seeking some advise. I made a yeast starter last night for my Sunday brew, and encountered some unfamiliar territory. I’ve made tons of starters, but have never had this happen. Basically, I woke up this morning, and there was about a half inch of Krausen on top in my flask, business as usually. Gave it a few shakes before leaving for work, now I just came home to find the thing overflowing and there seems to be yeast running down the sides and has accumulated at the bottom and all over my kitchen counter. My question is, is the contents of the flask still good, or do you think I lost too much yeast in the overflow?

Thanks![/quote]

Hilarity. I just came to post on this exact same issue. For a 1L starter, I still have maybe 900ml, but I wiped up a good amount of sludge off my countertop and stir plate.

I was curious whether or not the lost sludge (how much yeast is in there?) is a problem.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com