Yeast Starter in a plastic gallon jug?

Hey, Crew,
In March, I’m going to do a Dunkelweiss lager and I’m planning to do a yeast starter.

I have no more budget for a flask or stir plate or anything fancy. I was hoping to do the starter in a plastic milk jug with a bung and airlock on it. Any issues with the plastic milk jug for a starter vessel?

Or should I just go one step up and get a glass milk/cider jug?

Thanks!

I think I would step up a notch as you say and use a glass jug.It would be easier to clean and keep sanitary and thats a big plus doing yeast starters :cheers: Tank

A well cleaned and sanitized plastic jug will be fine until you can get a glass one.

For a pinch use the plastic milk jug.

If you happen to stumble upon a 1 gallon apple juice jug pick it up.

You can build a stir plate for very little using old computer parts. Check with a recycle shop or computer shop for a fan and hard drive to scavenge some magnets from. There are many tutorials online.

I use a gallon juice jug on a homemade stir plate.

[quote=“masquelle”]Hey, Crew,
In March, I’m going to do a Dunkelweiss lager and I’m planning to do a yeast starter.

I have no more budget for a flask or stir plate or anything fancy. I was hoping to do the starter in a plastic milk jug with a bung and airlock on it. Any issues with the plastic milk jug for a starter vessel?

Thanks![/quote]
Use sanitized aluminum foil over the starter container. An air lock will keep the oxygen out that the yeast need to multiply.

[quote=“flars”][quote=“masquelle”]Hey, Crew,

Thanks![/quote]
Use sanitized aluminum foil over the starter container. An air lock will keep the oxygen out that the yeast need to multiply.[/quote]

Just curious on the aluminum foil, cause I guess I’m not sure how oxygen is going to get by aluminum foil vs an airlock.

I’ve just harvested my first batch of yeast and have been doing some reading and watching several vids on youtube showing this practice as well as using a sanitized foam stopper. In my mind, the aluminum foil would block just as much O2 as an airlock.

[quote=“Kgetch”]

Just curious on the aluminum foil, cause I guess I’m not sure how oxygen is going to get by aluminum foil vs an airlock.

I’ve just harvested my first batch of yeast and have been doing some reading and watching several vids on youtube showing this practice as well as using a sanitized foam stopper. In my mind, the aluminum foil would block just as much O2 as an airlock.[/quote]
Foil isn’t going to be airtight, but you just loosely crimp it over the opening. Works fine for me.

[quote=“Kgetch”]

I’ve just harvested my first batch of yeast and have been doing some reading and watching several vids on youtube showing this practice as well as using a sanitized foam stopper. In my mind, the aluminum foil would block just as much O2 as an airlock.[/quote]

An airlock should let no air in. Loose foil should let plenty in. You are putting loosely over the top to keep stuff from falling in mostly.

I’ve used a 3L plastic bottle many times.

Ok got it!

Soooo, my guess is an airlock without any liquid might work just as effectively. Anyone doing that?

That should allow oxygen transfer without letting nasties in.