Yeast Starter for a Lager

Planning on a 10g Oktoberfest in a couple weeks.

I posted a question a week or so ago and Shadetree recommended to do this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116955&start=15#p1023217

I have a single smack pack of 3711 sitting in my fridge.

If I brew a 2.5 gallon batch at 1.040 and ferment at room temp, will that single pack make enough yeast to fuel 10 gallons of lager?

Secondarily, if it’s just starter wort, is there need for a 60 minute boil? Can’t I just bring the water to a boil, add enough DME to hit 1.040, boil for a few minutes and then cool, pitch and ferment?

Thanks!

1.) Are you sure you mean 3711? That’s a saison yeast.

2.) Yeah, boiling for 10 min. or so would be fine.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Planning on a 10g Oktoberfest in a couple weeks.

I posted a question a week or so ago and Shadetree recommended to do this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116955&start=15#p1023217

I have a single smack pack of 3711 sitting in my fridge.

If I brew a 2.5 gallon batch at 1.040 and ferment at room temp, will that single pack make enough yeast to fuel 10 gallons of lager?

Secondarily, if it’s just starter wort, is there need for a 60 minute boil? Can’t I just bring the water to a boil, add enough DME to hit 1.040, boil for a few minutes and then cool, pitch and ferment?

Thanks![/quote]
What is the manufacture date on the yeast? Assuming this is a fresh smack pack, I used the following calculator:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

Using a stir plate, it looks like a single 2.5 gallon starter wouldn’t quite be enough for a 10 gallon batch. First doing a 2L starter of 1.040 wort, decanting and stepping up to a 4L starter would give you 833 billion cells, the target amount for your 10 gallon batch of 1.057 lager according to Mr. Malty.

[quote=“Denny”]1.) Are you sure you mean 3711? That’s a saison yeast.

2.) Yeah, boiling for 10 min. or so would be fine.[/quote]

1.) Oops. I mean 2206. I just used the 3711 in a Saison. That’s why it’s in my head!

2.) Cool. Thanks.

[quote=“airlocksniffer”]
What is the manufacture date on the yeast? Assuming this is a fresh smack pack, I used the following calculator:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

Using a stir plate, it looks like a single 2.5 gallon starter wouldn’t quite be enough for a 10 gallon batch. First doing a 2L starter of 1.040 wort, decanting and stepping up to a 4L starter would give you 833 billion cells, the target amount for your 10 gallon batch of 1.057 lager according to Mr. Malty.[/quote]

Not sure on the exact date. It was purchased a week ago or so.

I don’t have a stir plate…I’m been doing the good ole shake it when you walk by method.

If we’re brewing in two weeks…I should probably get the starter going now, huh?

Edit - also, what’s the difference between the stir plate methods? Which one is more accurate?

[quote=“stompwampa”]
If we’re brewing in two weeks…I should probably get the starter going now, huh?[/quote]
For sure. Go to that link so you can enter the shake method rather than the stir plate. You’ll probably end up needing some bigger steps.

Even using a 4 Litre starter in 3 steps, I still can’t get the cell count high enough.

I did a 4L then 6L in two steps and hit it pretty close. See attached screenshot.
[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 11.24.59 AM.png[/attachment]I

What’s the difference between the 1.5 Lager and the 1.75 Lager…obviously the pitch rate, but how to know which to use?

1.5 is average strength. 2.0 is above 1.060.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/11/07 ... explained/

Thanks…I"m sure it’ll be fine. I just worry because this is our first lager!

Why don’t you just brew a light “real” lager and not waste the grains or extract?

For 50 minutes more work (well not really) you could do a full boil, adding hops and end up with a case of decent lager. After two weeks it should be done with primary, transfer to secondary and use the yeast for the 10 gallons

I would agree about spending a little more time and getting beer out of it too. This would also get the yeast amount thst you need for 10 gals.