Yeast starter, even consider an airlock?

Just ordered my second kit which calls for a yeast starter, all good there. Question is should I even consider an airlock or just go right to a blowoff tub into santized water? Thanks everyone.

Hank

Neither. you want your yeast starter access to oxygen.

I use a sanitized foam stopper. Sanitized aluminum foil set on loosely would work as well.

sanitized aluminum foil is more than sufficient. The key is to allow for oxygen to get inside the vessel.

I find antifoaming drops particularly useful with starters, both during the boil and during the ferment (particularly when using a stir plate).

[quote=“hank1105”]Just ordered my second kit which calls for a yeast starter, all good there. Question is should I even consider an airlock or just go right to a blowoff tub into santized water? Thanks everyone.

Hank[/quote]

I assume you’re talking about your beer, not the starter, and that you’e expecting increased fermentation activity due to the starter. Use a blowoff. I use a blowoff on every single batch. Sometimes I may not need it, but it doesn’t hurt. I’d rather have it on there and ready than find out too late that I should have used it.

That’s what I was getting out of it too and I’d say go with the blowoff just in case.

or a baggy[quote=“GoldenTrout”]sanitized aluminum foil is more than sufficient. The key is to allow for oxygen to get inside the vessel.[/quote]

Whoops, I meant using a yeast starter in the fermentor, not the yeast starter itself, sorry about the confusion. All I read about is that if a yeast starter is used to ferment the beer that people typically have blowoffs. Based on that I wasn’t even going to consider an airlock.

Hank

I start almost every batch with a blow-off tube then switch to an airlock after I’m sure it’s not gonna blow.