Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast starter DME

Can DME go bad? I made a starter last week for a lager I will be brewing. When the wort began to boil, there was no rise in foam or hot break.

I really don’t think that’s it. I have some DME that a friend gave me before he moved that was probably a couple years old. It was in a ziploc bag, and it has worked fine for a couple starters I’ve made. It’s like any sugar; does sugar sitting in a container on your counter top go bad?

Well actually the sugar in the kitchen didn’t go bad, but got hard as a rock. Had to chip it out of the bowl. The new DME is in better shape.
I hope what happened was that I may have gotten it too warm using a tart burner covered with tin foil to warm the area the stir plate is in. I surrounded with the stir plate with aluminum bubble insulation. Had the tart burner in there too with a 45 watt bulb. I had the top of the insulation partially covered to let heat escape. I did this because it is only 50 degrees where I brew. I wanted to warm the starter to 70 degrees. The house is 63 degrees. Guess I’ll bring the stir plate into the kitchen for the next starter.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com