Yeast shipped too hot

I just recieved an order and the yeast pack was starting to swell and pretty warm…what’s the chance that this yeast is shot?

If it’s swelling the yeast are alive. Yeast will happily reproduce at temperatures that are too high to make good beer so, you are probably okay, but a starter is called for.

Wyeast will tell you it’s fine.

From where to where?

Make a starter and see if it’s alive.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]From where to where?

Make a starter and see if it’s alive.[/quote]

Minnesota to NY

It hasn’t been “that” hot has it? We barely broke 80 one day last week in SE SD, Obviously it can get much warmer inside the delivery truck.

Yeah it has not really been “hot” but the smack pack was swelling and warm to the touch…eh its alright…when i make a starter i will see if i need to replace it…but its getting around that time to request extra ice packs

If you can plan ahead, order your yeast now for the summer. It will be fine in the fridge for 3-4 months. Especially if you are making starters.

And if you are using the same yeast for different brews, save the yeast cake in some jars. Most people use canning jars. Jelly or spaghetti sauce jars would also work.

Keep going with your chain thing from the other post. No need for new yeast :slight_smile: But I think your shipped yeast is okay. Just do a starter and you’ll know for sure. I’ll bet it takes off like a shot.

:cheers:

Keep going with your chain thing from the other post. No need for new yeast :slight_smile: But I think your shipped yeast is okay. Just do a starter and you’ll know for sure. I’ll bet it takes off like a shot.

:cheers: [/quote]

Im sorry, chain thing?

sorry, got you confused with another person.

no problem bro…cheers