Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast questions

Hi, I have two questions about yeast. When I first started brewing with the extract kits, I would order the suggested liquid yeast, and simply pitch that yeast at the appropriate time. I didn’t know about calculating for the proper volume of yeast. But, my beers still came out well. So, now I know to calculate for the proper volume, but my time is very limited, so I’m wondering why I need to spend the extra time propogating the yeast when the volume I used to use was just fine.

My other question is regarding the liquid yeast. I took it out of the fridge last night and activated it in anticipation of brewing today, but some thing came up, so I was able to brew. Am I ok just putting it back in the fridge? Will that damage the yeast? thanks.

The yeast can go back into the frig without harm. The yeast will be just a little older. When I started brewing I also did not use starters. I did not brew anything over 1.056 though and my yeast was also very fresh. I usually make starters now just to be on the safe side and I’m brewing more with yeast that has been in storage longer. The calculators use figures to be on the safe side, as any brewery, because under pitching can cause more damage to a fermentation than over pitching.
If you are not brewing this weekend you would have the opportunity to do a starter by the intermittent shaking method. That is if your expected OG is high enough to warrant the need for extra yeast.

Ah, good deal. I’m brewing the Peat Smoked Porter with an OG of 1.062, so I would want a starter. I’ve been very successful and pleased with my brews with starters, but just wondered why I didn’t have problems before (I’ve been very fortunate and have not had a bad batch yet). By the way, what is the shaking method you are referring to? Thanks for the reply!

I think he means to swirl it. It’s not really a shaking motion. I just swirl it. Just my 2 cents.

I noticed that before yeast starters, my fermentor’s bubbler would start getting active sometime the day after I brewed. Since I started doing starters, the airlock starts going crazy in a few hours. Yesterday we finished brewing 3-ish, by 9:00 PM, it was doing about a bubble/second. So if nothing else, it improves/eliminates latency.

[quote=“phrankndonna”]Hi, I have two questions about yeast. When I first started brewing with the extract kits, I would order the suggested liquid yeast, and simply pitch that yeast at the appropriate time. I didn’t know about calculating for the proper volume of yeast. But, my beers still came out well. So, now I know to calculate for the proper volume, but my time is very limited, so I’m wondering why I need to spend the extra time propogating the yeast when the volume I used to use was just fine.

My other question is regarding the liquid yeast. I took it out of the fridge last night and activated it in anticipation of brewing today, but some thing came up, so I was able to brew. Am I ok just putting it back in the fridge? Will that damage the yeast? thanks.[/quote]

Since it sounds like you’ve tried both with and without starters, it’s easy for you to decide which one makes better beer. That’s what I did and decided to use a starter for any beer over 1.040. But you can make up your own mind.

When I get a recipe under 1.040, I generally choose a different recipe :smiley:

When I get a recipe under 1.040, I generally choose a different recipe :smiley: [/quote]

Yeah, I can’t even remember the last time I did one.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com