Yeast Nutrient

Hello Everyone,

Hope this doesn’t seem too pedantic, but I’m curious to know how much yeast nutrient (if any) people are using in their recipes. For a 5 gallon batch (ale or lager), I typically add 1/2 tsp. to the last 15 minutes of the boil, mostly because I’ve read of others doing similarly. Would the amount and timing be the result of some specific calculation, or is it just good policy to toss some into the boil?

Are you extract or all grain brewing? Whats the OG of the recipe? Are you using a yeast starter?

This is going depending on what brand you are using. Some are a single tablet you drop in, others require measuring. But if you have it, doesn’t it say on the side of the bottle or the company’s website?

I’ve been using Wyeast, which says to add 1/2 teaspoon to the last 10 minutes of the boil. I was wondering if these instructions were generic in nature, along the same lines as a package of liquid yeast saying to simply pitch the package contents into the wort after aerating, even though many brewers commonly consult various formulas and calculators for more accurate advice on pitching rates.

I’ve been using Wyeast, which says to add 1/2 teaspoon to the last 10 minutes of the boil. I was wondering if these instructions were generic in nature, along the same lines as a package of liquid yeast saying to simply pitch the package contents into the wort after aerating, even though many brewers commonly consult various formulas and calculators for more accurate advice on pitching rates.[/quote]

The back of the marshmallow pack recommends using post brand “pebbles” to make rice krispie bars, but I have yet to find them in any grocery store here. I would say that we have something generic, or at the worst, a clever advertising gimmick. For those who are curious. I did have some great rice krispies, made with rice krispies.

I also use the Wyeast nutrient, for every batch, and add the exact amount specified on the vial in a small slurry with warm water, or a tiny bit more than recommended for a big beer, and add at 10 minutes as directed, all with very good success.

I do the exact same thing. I skipped using it for a few batches as an experiment and I concluded that it does indeed work well.

Just wondering, how many 5gl batches does a vial of Wyeast last you?

Lots, plus starters.

1/2 tsp. weighs 2g, so you’re looking at ~21 5-gallon batches if you use the suggested amount for the boil only. If you also use it in starters, YMWV.

Anyone ever compare the Wyest nutrient to the White Labs nutrient? The Wyeast one is WAY cheaper per batch but I’m wondering if the White Labs one is worth the $$.

I use the Wyeast because I’ve used both and didn’t seem to notice a difference. But, White Labs Servomyces is GMO free and conforms to the restrictions of Reinheitsgebot.

I use the Wyeast because I’ve used both and didn’t seem to notice a difference. But, White Labs Servomyces is GMO free and conforms to the restrictions of Reinheitsgebot.[/quote]

I respect the Reinheitsgebot up to a point below yeast nutrient. Thanks for the input, I’ll stick to the Wyeast nutrient!