Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast Mixup

So there was a mixup when I ordered an Irish Red and a Black IPA recipe kits. I received a Safale-05 and White Labs British Ale yeast. Normally the Safale-05 would come with the Black IPA. Which kit should I use the British Ale yeast on OR should I just go buy the yeast that was recommended for the Irish Red?

For the record, I’m not complaining about the mixup, I just want to make sure that if I can use the yeast in the best way possible than I should do it.

Thanks!

I don’t think it’s worth fretting over…either yeast will work well in either beer.
If anything, the dry yeast seems to attenuate more, so you could ultimately base your decision upon that. Besides that, it’s really a toss-up.

I think what I’ll do is throw the WL British Ale yeast in to the Black IPA, since its description says it works well in Pale Ales and just use the safale-05 on the Irish Red.

The fine Northern Brewer folks said that the IPA may taste a little fruitier than normal if I put the british ale yeast in it, but would probably turn out just fine, so I’m going to just use it in the Irish Red Ale.

Thanks for your help!

I’m not sure what the mixup is - the British Ale should go well with the Irish Red and US-05 is an excellent choice for a Black IPA.

[quote=“RyChannel”]The fine Northern Brewer folks said that the IPA may taste a little fruitier than normal if I put the british ale yeast in it, but would probably turn out just fine, so I’m going to just use it in the Irish Red Ale.

Thanks for your help![/quote]

Depending on the IBUs a bit of fruitiness would be a good balance.

Keep your temps in the low 60’s and you can minimize the fruitiness.

The mixup refers to the fact that the British Ale Yeast that I received wasn’t a selected option for either beer recipe. It wasn’t even an available option.

But thats not a big deal, just wanted to make sure it was used in the best possible way.

Brewed the Irish Red Ale with the British Ale Yeast this weekend. I was not expecting it to be so active, haha. Had to clean out the airlock 3 times. finally had to figure out how to make a blow off tube for my fermenting bucket. Then naturally it settled down after that. go figure.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com