So I’ve gotten to the point where I want to re-use the yeast from batches to re-pitch for the same beer at a later date. Problem is: I have a very vague idea (at best) on how to do this.
Here’s what I do know:
1)Take the top layer of yeast off the cake, attempting to leave the trub behind.
2) wash the yeast
What I don’t know ( but imagine I should):
- best/easiest/ most effective way to separate the trub from the yeast??
- how to identify what’s good and what’s not?
- how to wash the yeast? Or why I need to?
- how long it will store for before it loses it’s viability?
- and making an appropriate starter?
Thanks in advance. I know that’s a laundry list if questions.