Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast from Blowoff

Can you safely save yeast that fills the bottom of a blowoff container when it has Starsan on top of it? I recently made a batch of Hefe that has a ton of yeast at the bottom of my pitcher and wondered if its good or maybe exposed to bacteria. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Risky

Yep. It might work, but I’d consider it an experiment.

Cheap experiment. Rehydrate some bread yeast. Put some in a container of sanitizer for 2-3 days. Then add it to a sugar solution to see if it ferments.

Personally I would toss it and use what is in the fermenter.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Cheap experiment. Rehydrate some bread yeast. Put some in a container of sanitizer for 2-3 days. Then add it to a sugar solution to see if it ferments.

Personally I would toss it and use what is in the fermenter.[/quote]

I’m pretty certain it would ferment, but the quality is what I’d worry about.

I would also be concerned that there is more “non yeast” compounds in the blow off and what you would find in the bottom of the fermenter.

I understand there is a “top cropping” way of collecting yeast. Which would be very similar to using the yeast from a blow off tube.

Yes i guess it would be risky, just thought all that sanitizer sittin on top would keep it clean. Oh well, i top cropped this yeast and was able to make a 2nd 10 gal. batch so i guess it don’t matter. Thanks fellas. Will toss the goop, don’t want poop!! :lol:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com