Yeast for Kolsch

Time to do a Kolsch. While researching the style I was looking for a preferred yeast strain. Wyeast and White Labs both sell a Kolsch strain. Curiosly, while looking at Daniels book Designing Great Beers, the section on Kolsch/Alt shows that only 1 of 20 recipes in this category actually used a Kolsch strain. Most recipes used a European Wy1338 or German ale strain Wy1007.

I am interested in comments about these yeasts vs the Kolsch strains.

Cheers beer dudes

Not sure about that. Maybe the recipes were released before the kolsch strains were released…
I have used both wyeast and white labs and have had great results with both at 60* to 62* and lagering at 32* for 6 weeks. I will say that nin my experience 1007 is pretty close to a kolsch yeast, but can provide a more ‘nuetral’ result.

Book was published in 1996. The recipes did combine Alts and Kolsch but didn’t provide any more details. WY2565 Kolsch yeast was specifically mentioned.

Any of these yeasts will probably work just fine. I have had excellent experiences with both the 2565 and the WLP029. The White Labs strain will turn out clear as crystal. The 2565 stays hazy for a very very long time and might require gelatin to settle it all out; however, a lot of folks swear it is the best Kolsch strain of them all. Personally, I’ll stick with WLP029, it is a great yeast, and flocculates very well.

+1
Wyeast strain is spot on.

[quote=“bwmac2”]Time to do a Kolsch. While researching the style I was looking for a preferred yeast strain. Wyeast and White Labs both sell a Kolsch strain. Curiosly, while looking at Daniels book Designing Great Beers, the section on Kolsch/Alt shows that only 1 of 20 recipes in this category actually used a Kolsch strain. Most recipes used a European Wy1338 or German ale strain Wy1007.

I am interested in comments about these yeasts vs the Kolsch strains.

Cheers beer dudes[/quote]

If you’re not using a Kolsch type yeast strain you’re making a blond ale. Even though most US breweries seem to use their house ale strain for their “Kolsch” you don’t have too. The subtleties of the Kolsch yeast is what can make the difference between a good and a great beer. Agree with dmtaylo2 on his suggestions. I’ve used the WLP-029 several times and it does a great job but the WY1007 is quite respectable. I have not used the WY2565.

Personally, I don’t think the flavors you get from 1007 or 1338 resemble a kolsch at all. At least not any imported kolsch that I’ve tried. Neither have the winey, apple, and/or pear flavors that I look for in a kolsch. 2565 and WL029 are marketed as kolsch yeasts and do a great job. I’ve tried the seasonal kolsch strains that are sometimes avialable, but prefer 2565 and 029.

Good discussion, thanks for the input. I’ll plan to use either the 2565 or 029.

What I meant was 1007 is a nuetral yeast that doesn’t throw much esters. I didn’t mean they are subsitutes for kolsch.