Yeast cake virgin

On Tuesday I moved Jamils Evil Twin to secondary, brewed a Black IPA and
poured it onto the yeast cake. Four hours later she’s really bubbling away.
I put a blowoff tube on just in case. Wednesday morning it’s still going strong.
Had to leave town for two days so I switched it to an air lock. Come home last nite
and nothing happening. Temp was 62*. Guess I’m thinking more should be going on
but this is my first time doing this. I’m not worried but some insight would be great.
Just trying to have more of an understanding of this craft.

Happy brewing,
Big AL. :cheers:

Entirely possible that the yeast have consumed all the sugars available. You could take a gravity reading today. Or let it sit for a few more days before doing a gravity check.

I’ve done those twice = fast & furious fermentation. There were a lot of wee yeasties and they ate well.

I just did the same thing, very fast fermentation, finished fast too. Should I rack to secondary after 1 week, I’m adding some oak cubes, or should I wait the 2 weeks as usual?

I’d still wait the normal time. Things settle and clear.

[quote=“AL_Richard”]
Had to leave town for two days so I switched it to an air lock.

Happy brewing,
Big AL. :cheers: [/quote]

This is the part that makes me curious. Going the other way makes more sense. An blow off hose is a safety measure, good for when you cannot watch carefully. With an airlock during furious fermentation, you could have come home to a mess

You basically tossed that beer onto a five gallon yeast starter so there is more that enough yeast in there to chew through anything quickly. I’m guessing it’s done or close but let it sit for two weeks to clear out and clean up a bit.

And whoever mentioned it, good point on the airlock. Leave it on next time if you’re leaving it unattended.

I have to admit that I was a little baffled after I left that morning as to why I went to an airlock,
but it had been 15-16hrs. that it was bubbling away and I had it in a bathtub. Thanks guys for the
info about the “yeastie boys” going to to town on the wort. I’m brewing two beers next week so I’ll
be splitting a yeast cake from a Scottish Wee Heavy for those and know a bit more of what to expect.

Happy brewing,
Big AL :cheers:

[quote=“AL_Richard”]

I’m brewing two beers next week so I’ll be splitting a yeast cake from a Scottish Wee Heavy for those and know a bit more of what to expect.

Happy brewing,
Big AL :cheers: [/quote]

What yeast did you use?