Wyeast question

I am planning on brewing NB cream ale on Tuesday or wednesday. This is Sunday morning, and I am going to smack the pack about 10:00 this morning. That will be three hours since taken out of the fridg. My question is how long should I let the yeast activate until I make a yeast starter? For a yeast starter, I am using 1200 ml with 1/2 cup light DME,then onto a stir plate.

It doesn’t really matter. You don’t really need to smack the nutrient pouch if you don’t want to when making a starter. I would have made the starter last week so that it would have grown all the yeast cells it could. Then put it in the fridge for two or three days to allow the yeast to settle out so you could decant the liquid prior to pitching.

Smack the pack and pitch the yeast right away. No reason to wait. Agree that you should have made starter several days ago. Or push brew day back a couple, but if the yeast is fresh and the starter takes off quickly, you will be fine.

I only made one starter so far in the past. What I did was after I smacked it I let it sit for 24 hours, made the starter then kept it on the stir plate for 48 hours. I honestly don’t know if that was right. I planed on brewing Tuesday, then realized I wouldn’t have two days on the stir plate. If I don’t brew on Tues. or wed. I can’t brew until next Tuesday because of the work schedule. Which is not really a big problem. So if I understand right, after the yeast pack comes up to room temperature, I can smack it, shake it up, then pitch it into my starter right away? I don’t have to let it sit for a day? Is two days on a stir plate good? Thanks so much for a speedy reply!

That is correct. The object of a starter is to increase the yeast cell count over that which was in the package to begin with. That’s why it is best to let your starter run it’s course and after about four days the yeast count will have increased all that it can. Then it has been debated, but I like to cold crash for 2-3 days so I can decant the beer off the yeast. I add some cooled wort when running into the fermenter on brew day and swirl that to loosen up the yeast cake from my starter and pitch.

Many people pitch their yeast straight out of the refrigerator with excelent results. So there is no need to let it warm up before smacking/pitching.

I work the same as the other that have posted. Make the starter the week before brewing. Allow the east 3-4 days to multiply and eat all the sugars. Then in the refrigerator for 2 days. Decant and pitch into the beer.

In 2 days the yeast probably has multiplied and eaten all the sugars. But if you have the time let it go for 3-4.

Better safe than sorry.

what’s your target OG?

I would think that the OG should be 1.040? This is just a cream ale. Rather than rushing to brew on Wednesday, (have to go to work in afternoon) I elected to put the yeast back in the fridge and will start again on next Saturday so I can brew Tuesday.

unless your yeast is old, you probably won’t need to make a starter.

I was thinking along that line, if its 1056 its probably pretty fresh.
It would ferment out a starter overnight.

Is there a time frame I need to look at for keeping the starter on a stir plate? I shoot for two days, but will it hurt to keep it on for four days? Will I beat up the yeast cells too bad by doing that? How do you figure the OG of the starter? How would I reach 1.056 OG?

whoa! slow down, cowboy. 4 days will be fine. 1 cup dry malt extract is plenty for a 2,000mL starter. 1/2 or 3/4 cup will be fine for 1200mL. and the reference to 1056 is the number on the yeast:Wyeast 1056 is American Ale. before getting starter wild, what yeast are you using and what is the date on it?

Mark, I am so glad there are brewers out there to help my sorry butt out. This is all new to me and I’m trying to do all the right things. OK, to start, I have Wyeast 1056 American ale, MFG AUgust 23,2012. By chance is the number 1056 the OG?

Sorry about the mistake Edward Teach. My bad

Yeast does not have an OG. 1056 is the strain or model number.

No, that’s just the number of the yeast. Mark, (AKA Edward Teach) is probably flexing in front of a mirror. :wink:
Your yeast is pretty fresh, 1056 has a high turnover rate.

No, that’s just the number of the yeast. Mark, (AKA Edward Teach) is probably flexing in front of a mirror. :wink:
Your yeast is pretty fresh, 1056 has a high turnover rate.[/quote]
hey folks, my name’s not Mark. it’s Andrew. oh snap.

I think I get it, but I’m a little confused by the talk of making a starter. I am using a Wyeast (northerwest ale) in a “smack” pack activator. I have the common problem: I smacked it 22 hours ago, put it at room temperature and it grew fine. But, now I find that I cannot get back to brewing for 3-4 days. I hadn’t planned on making any additional starter. Can I just put it into the refrigerator, take it out in 3-4 days and use it? thanks in advance.

Yes you can. The yeast don’t “die” if not used right away. They will go dormant, then wake up when you add them to the wort.

But if you are brewing anything over a 1.050 beer, most people suggest making a starter to achieve proper pitching rates, thus making your beer better