Wyeast NeoBritania at 64 degrees

Does anyone have an opinion about fermentation at 63-64 degrees for this yeast? Currently in an outmeal stout. My initial lag time was relatively short with good initial fermentation. Seems to have been a pretty good drop in the action…wondering if it would be beneficial to move to a warmer climate. Will it truly matter if the fermentation is a bit slow? Should I add time in the primary?

How long since you pitched? If it has just slowed, give it a little while longer at the current temps. If it has stopped, I would swirl the bucket or carboy a bit and move to a warmer temp. Keeping the temps at the cooler end of the range is most important during the very active primary fermentation, it seems.

I brewed NBs Oatmeal Stout on 1/21/2013. I pitched NeoBrittannia, 1.5 l starter, into 56° degree wort 4:30 PM. 11:00 PM slight airlock activity. Wort temperature 60°. 1/22 8:00 AM; 64°, 1 bubble per second in airlock. Added cold water to the tray the fermenter sits in. My aim was to keep the temperature just below or at 68°. 1/23 8:00AM; 66°, 1 bubble per second. 11:30PM 64°, 1 bubble per 4 seconds. I drained the water from the tray to let the wort temperature rise. Seemed like fermentation activity was slowing to rapidly. 1/24 11:00PM; 68° 1 bubble per 10 seconds. 1/25 8:00 AM; 68°, 1 bubble per 10 seconds. I plan to take a hydrometer reading this afternoon. If the wort is not below 1.030 I may swirl the yeast to try for more activity. From what I read this stout will finish high, about 1.020 to 1.022, with residual sweetness. The yeast range is 66° to 74°. If I can’t get this one down to at least 1.020 the next brew will aim for a starting fermentation temperature of 66° and let it rise to 70°.
Seems like this yeast is not prone to explosive activity at low 60 degree temperatures and may drop out to fast before it eats the available fermentables. If I do raise the yeast this afternoon and activity continues, I will shoot for the higher fermentation temperature next time.
I will leave this one in the primary at least 2 weeks. Two weeks is my minimum. Usually it is three to four weeks. Time depends upon the flavor of the hydrometer samples.

[quote=“flars”]I brewed NBs Oatmeal Stout on 1/21/2013. I pitched NeoBrittannia, 1.5 l starter, into 56° degree wort 4:30 PM. 11:00 PM slight airlock activity. Wort temperature 60°. 1/22 8:00 AM; 64°, 1 bubble per second in airlock. Added cold water to the tray the fermenter sits in. My aim was to keep the temperature just below or at 68°. 1/23 8:00AM; 66°, 1 bubble per second. 11:30PM 64°, 1 bubble per 4 seconds. I drained the water from the tray to let the wort temperature rise. Seemed like fermentation activity was slowing to rapidly. 1/24 11:00PM; 68° 1 bubble per 10 seconds. 1/25 8:00 AM; 68°, 1 bubble per 10 seconds. I plan to take a hydrometer reading this afternoon. If the wort is not below 1.030 I may swirl the yeast to try for more activity. From what I read this stout will finish high, about 1.020 to 1.022, with residual sweetness. The yeast range is 66° to 74°. If I can’t get this one down to at least 1.020 the next brew will aim for a starting fermentation temperature of 66° and let it rise to 70°.
Seems like this yeast is not prone to explosive activity at low 60 degree temperatures and may drop out to fast before it eats the available fermentables. If I do raise the yeast this afternoon and activity continues, I will shoot for the higher fermentation temperature next time.
I will leave this one in the primary at least 2 weeks. Two weeks is my minimum. Usually it is three to four weeks. Time depends upon the flavor of the hydrometer samples.[/quote]

I took a hydrometer reading this evening, SG 1.015. Very smooth with light hop bitterness. In one more week I’ll begin hydrometer readings for FG. Seems like three weeks in the primary may be sufficient for this one. I’ll brew this one many more times. I might raise the fermentation temperature up one degree.