Wyeast, Keep Refrigerated not Frozen

I placed an order for some brewing goodies including Wyeast 1272 American Ale II for my Irish Ale kit. It’s been crazy cold and when I finally got home from work and got my box from NB opened I noticed the Wyeast wasn’t frozen from sitting in its box from UPS, but it was getting there. I would say I could feel some frozen chunks, maybe about the consistency of a Slushy. Did this get to cold? Will the Wyeast still do its job or should I get another packet?

According to what Chris White has said about frozen yeast, ‘…expect a 10% loss of viable yeast cells’. A starter will most likely be required to make up for the cell loss.

Such as the packets of yeast often found at the grocery store and used for bread?

Yes, dry yeasts and liquid yeasts, cool conditions will lessen viability loss.

Yes, dry yeasts and liquid yeasts, cool conditions will lessen viability loss.[/quote]

Easy enough, I have that on hand already. :slight_smile:

Yes, dry yeasts and liquid yeasts, cool conditions will lessen viability loss.[/quote]

Easy enough, I have that on hand already. :slight_smile: [/quote]

You mean dry beer yeast, right?

I had some of this on hand, is it the right stuff to use?

I had some of this on hand, is it the right stuff to use?

[/quote]
That will be excellent for a starter. Huge savings if you buy the DME in five pound bags. You will have some on hand to bump up an OG for a brew if a mash missed by a couple of points.

Great. How much do you think I should use in addition to the Wyeast?

This is the calculator I use now. Now that Yeastcalc is no longer available.

In the cell for ‘Liquid-Packs/vials’ the value 0.9 which would equall 10% mortality of your WY smack pack because of the freezing.
Look over the cells when you change numbers to make sure all your other entries have remained unchanged.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

[quote=“flars”]This is the calculator I use now. Now that Yeastcalc is no longer available.

In the cell for ‘Liquid-Packs/vials’ the value 0.9 which would equall 10% mortality of your WY smack pack because of the freezing.
Look over the cells when you change numbers to make sure all your other entries have remained unchanged.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/[/quote]

Found an archived version of Yeastcalc with the link below, however I still have a lot to learn to use either tool… Right now most is latin to me.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140108174 ... tcalc.com/

I just want to check before I start. Can someone comment on my findings below and tell me if I am correct… I will need to add 7.2 oz/205.4 g of DME starter. This is for the Irish Ale Kit from NB.

[attachment=1]part 1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]part 2.JPG[/attachment]

A couple things. The OG of the irish red is 1.044. you have it entered at 1.050.

If the viability is correct (29%) you aren’t pitching enough yeast. Looks like you will either need to do a second step (cool, decant, make a new starter and pour on top of existing yeast) or use a much larger starter.

But that is the correct amount of DME for your first step in a 2L starter yes. A second step of 1.5L should get you to the proper pitch rate.

Check the defaults. Besides estimated OG as mentioned. Will you have 5.5 gallons in the fermentor? Method of starter aeration is None? How about Intermittent Shaking for aeration? Whenever someone walks past the starter they give it a shake. A one liter starter will be sufficient if you have a stir plate.