WYeast and other stuuf

Hey mens and women, have a question bout Wyeast. Smacked the pack to day (forgot to mention I’m a newbie), wanting to use it tomorrow. I’m guessing I put it back in the fridge or no? 2nd question is from here on out I’m going to make a yeast starter. Have the flask/stopper and dme. What have youall found to be necessary equipment? Stir plate? Thanks for your help.

Mike

[quote=“Sargedog11”]Hey mens and women, have a question bout Wyeast. Smacked the pack to day (forgot to mention I’m a newbie), wanting to use it tomorrow. I’m guessing I put it back in the fridge or no? 2nd question is from here on out I’m going to make a yeast starter. Have the flask/stopper and dme. What have youall found to be necessary equipment? Stir plate? Thanks for your help.

Mike[/quote]

Once you smack it, leave it out of the fridge. A stir palte is nice, but not necessary. I made starers for more than 10 years without one. A stir plate will speed up the process, though. Without one I give the starter 5-7 days. With one, 3-4 days will usually do. BTW, you don’t have to wait for the smackpack to swell before you make a starter.

Thank you sir. While I have you what is the advantage to the liquid yeast over dry?

Health & strain availability.

Selection, mainly. There are a lot more strains of liquid yeast available than dry. Dry can be quite a bit more convenient, though. Brewing with liquid yeast generally involves more advanced planning if you’re making a starter. I use S-05 for at least half of my brews simply out of convenience (especially because the hardware store across the street stocks it).