Wyeast 3787 issue

I agree. The Belgians don’t usually do it and neither do I.

Do you guys leave them in the primary until bottling or kegging? Think I will do the shorter method liek you suggested Denny, just want to be sure you leave it in the primary.

Just a thought… switch your recipe to a Patersbier. It’s just Pilsner, 1 hop of your choice (I prefer sazz) and that yeast 3787. All of which you should already have for your tripel (maybe a different hop though). It’s more of a Belgian session beer. Get your SG down to about 1.050 make a starter and use that old yeast. Then when the Patersbier is done (which is a fantastic beer by the way) collect the yeast cake and use that for your Belgian Tripel.

Yep. I usually do at least 3-4 week primaries.

That yeast makes a crazy amount of krausen. Definitely have your blow off set up ready.

Hm should I be worried then, Krausen is only about an inch or so right now?
Activity started Friday evening, Dec 30, been fairly steadily but not vigorous. So it took roughly 22-24 hours from pitch before the krausen started forming with signs of action in the action. Not sure how long it takes to hit the fermentation peak my past brews have only had strong signs of activity for 2-4 days once they start with a short period of vigorous activity.

I supppose the yeast could still be lagging some not all the packs were swollen to bursting when pitched but were swollen.

[quote=“cyberdiver”]Hm should I be worried then, Krausen is only about an inch or so right now?
Activity started Friday evening, Dec 30, been fairly steadily but not vigorous. So it took roughly 22-24 hours from pitch before the krausen started forming with signs of action in the action. Not sure how long it takes to hit the fermentation peak my past brews have only had strong signs of activity for 2-4 days once they start with a short period of vigorous activity.

I supppose the yeast could still be lagging some not all the packs were swollen to bursting when pitched but were swollen.[/quote]

No reason to worry. There’s no reason your fermentation should look like someone else’s.

Yeah the Krausen filled in the all the space in my 6 gallon fermentaor last night/tpday glad I switched to the blow out tube.

[quote=“Belpaire”]
That yeast makes a crazy amount of krausen. Definitely have your blow off set up ready.[/quote]
+1. I just brewed a Belgian PA with this for the first time and had a massive blowoff. Too bad they don’t make 6.5 gallon Better Bottles.

Ok so after a full week of pitch fermentation has seemed to slow but still trickling out. I decided to take a grav reading. I got 1.020, should i be concerned at this point? It still bubbles a little so I know some fermentation is on going.

What temp is the beer?
At 1.020 you’re ready to get it to the mid 70’s to help it finish if you’re not there already.
I’ve found the most efficient way for me to do this is put a winter coat on the beer, throw in el cheapo heating pad and zip it up. Heat pad on low, switched with A419.
Helps to have yeast activity still, to mix things up.
Probably raises 5 gal 1* every 1.5 - 2 hours

it is sitting at 72. I not sure fi I have a warming spot in the house without uping the heater settting.

Heating pad, hmm I could probably do that. what is this switch a419?

The A419 is the model # of my thermostat.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... oller.html

But you could run your pad manually and check temp every once in a while.

I wouldn’t be concerned for at least another 2 weeks. Forget it and leave it alone til then. Stan H. points out in BLAM that it often takes longer for the last 10% of attenuation than it does for the first 90%.

Well did my first Hydro reading in two weeks. Went from 1.020 to 1.014. Should I be concerned that it only dropped .006 in two weeks? Temp dropped this weekend to 70. Thinking about warming it up into the low 70’s. Not sure what the final grav should be but my thought is that it should be closer to 1.000.

Quick glance at the 1st page this is an extract beer OG ~1.070. Unless there are a lot of simple sugars (table sugar/honey) in it I’m a bit surprised you made it to 1.014.

Only thing you can do is let it sit and keep it warm to give the yeast a chance to eat up the last of the fermentable sugars in the extract. I

High Gravity Yeast doesn’t mean it will completely ferment out. You want some gravity in the beer. 1.014 sounds like it’s close to complete. 80% attenuation is solid. Take readings the next 2 days, if they’re the same, it’s done.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Quick glance at the 1st page this is an extract beer OG ~1.070. Unless there are a lot of simple sugars (table sugar/honey) in it I’m a bit surprised you made it to 1.014.

Only thing you can do is let it sit and keep it warm to give the yeast a chance to eat up the last of the fermentable sugars in the extract. I[/quote]

THIS^^^^^

Well I have been trying to keep the temp around 74 +/- 2 deg. for the last week or so. Took a gravity a couple of days ago and got about 1.013 on the 20th and today I got 1.012. I am hoping to bottle this weekend but if it keeps on creeping I guess I will hold off. It tastes pretty good so far looking forward to tasting the carbonated product.

I bought a New Belgium recently for a comparison turned out it was a dubbel but my tripel tasted better not as hoppy as the New Belgium. I was bit surprised at how hoppy that New Belgium was. Planning on using my buddy as a test tastier of this one as drinks the Chimay (spelling) at $10 bucks a pop on a somewhat regular basis.