Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

I read on Wyeast’s site that this is a fast fermenting yeast strain and I have read a few conflicting reports on it. Normally I do my fermentation for three weeks then I transfer to the keg and have it condition. In this case I have read as soon as one week to transfer it to the keg to condition.

I did a 1L starter and had an OG of 1.047 and I am fermenting at 62 degrees F.

I was thinking I could meet in the middle and ferment for two weeks and then move to the keg to condition for a week.

Has anyone familiar with this strain have any input on the fermentation schedule?

Thanks

A friend of mine just used this strain, and it was a clove BOMB, tons and tons of clove. I asked what temperature he fermented it – 65 F. He said it had a lot more banana when it was young, first couple of weeks, but after a month it lost all its banana, but wow, I have never tasted so much friggin clove in a hefe in my life. As such, I might suggest warming your beer up to upper 60s to help balance it out.

I didn’t ask him about fermentation time, so I can’t say for sure, but my guess is it should quit fermenting in less than 10 days, no? Past hefes I have made were super fast, finishing in like 4 days. I can’t imagine this strain being that much different, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I’d warm it up. 62 F is very cold for this strain and will no doubt create a clove bomb.

Thanks Dave, I will warm it up tonight… :cheers: