Wyeast 2206 for Alt then Schwarz

Any opinions on using this yeast for either of these styles? Never made either one before - my plan would be to brew a 5G BIAB N. German (or Dusseldorf) Alt (fermented at low ale temps) to grow up a pitch of yeast for a 1/2 bbl schwarz.

I’ve used 2206 for hybrid beers before, and for Okfests, and have loved the result.

I’ve used this often and have always had good results. I brewed an amber lager and the temps took off on me so it fermented at 56* rather than the 50* I shoot for. The beer came out very good. It WILL benefit from a d-rest if I remember correctly.

I love 2206, but I don’t think it’s the right choice for either of those beers, especially the alt. For alt, you want a much crisper yeast. 2206 is malt focused. Great for bocks and that kind of thing. I’ve used it for pils and while it was good, it kind of muted the crispness I was looking for.

WLP 800 then?

Dunno White strains very well…is there a Wyeast equivalent?

I think it would be 2001/Urquell.

AFAIAC, you cannot beat WY1007 for alt. But I gather you want something you can use for both the alt and the schwarz?

FWIW, Wyeast lists these for schwarz…if I was going to choose one of those for both, it would be 2124 or 2278.

2007 - Pilsen Lager™
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
2278 - Czech Pils™
2206 - Bavarian Lager

Definitely the WY2124 out of those choices.

Glad i read this Pietro as i plan on a Schwarz next myself. I was wondering about the yeast also, guess i’ll use the 2124. Used it in a Czech Pils last year with good outcome. I did a D-rest with it then, so i’ll do that again. Do you use the same schedule with all lagers? Think i went 7 weeks @ 36 last time. :cheers:

36* beer temperature???

Man that is low. My lagers have all been 50* for 2-3 weeks, d-rest at 60-65, transfer off the yeast and lager for 4-6 weeks.

36*??!!

Just checked my notes. It was 3 weeks @ 52 with a 5 day D-rest @ 66. Transfer, then lowered to 37 over the course of a week. Then lagered for 6 more weeks @ 37. Turned out fantastic. I’ve read of brewers going even lower for longer periods of time. My biggest concern was carbonation. I didn’t add yeast at bottling, but it was just right after about a month.

[quote=“Denny”]FWIW, Wyeast lists these for schwarz…if I was going to choose one of those for both, it would be 2124 or 2278.

2007 - Pilsen Lager™
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
2278 - Czech Pils™
2206 - Bavarian Lager[/quote]

Isn’t S-34/70 the dry version of 2124? I was very happy with the lager that I brewed with it. I’m planning another lager with it early next year.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]FWIW, Wyeast lists these for schwarz…if I was going to choose one of those for both, it would be 2124 or 2278.

2007 - Pilsen Lager™
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
2278 - Czech Pils™

Isn’t S-34/70 the dry version of 2124? I was very happy with the lager that I brewed with it. I’m planning another lager with it early next year.[/quote]
It supposedly is. I like that yeast, very clean and doesn’t need a diacetyl rest typically.

My lager schedule is similar to my ales. One to two weeks in the primary, then I might raise the temp up a bit to help the beer finish out and clean up any diacetyl. Then I’ll cold crash for a few days to a couple weeks, keg, and carbonate while it lagers for 2-3 weeks longer. This is for normally gravity lagers. I plan to do a Maibock soon with 2206 that I’ll do that same schedule with, but will lager for 3 months and drink in Mai. There’s more waiting, but I’m finding that I really appreciate my beers more when I give the more time. I should really start doing this with my ales too. I pretty start drinking them a couple days after I keg…that’s pretty much 3 weeks or less from grain to glass…I need to rethink that process.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]FWIW, Wyeast lists these for schwarz…if I was going to choose one of those for both, it would be 2124 or 2278.

2007 - Pilsen Lager™
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
2278 - Czech Pils™

Isn’t S-34/70 the dry version of 2124? I was very happy with the lager that I brewed with it. I’m planning another lager with it early next year.[/quote]

34/70 is reportedly sourced from 2124. It’s a good yeast, but not as good as 2124. No dry yeast that originally came from a liquid yeast will be exactly the same.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]FWIW, Wyeast lists these for schwarz…if I was going to choose one of those for both, it would be 2124 or 2278.

2007 - Pilsen Lager™
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
2278 - Czech Pils™

34/70 is reportedly sourced from 2124. It’s a good yeast, but not as good as 2124. No dry yeast that originally came from a liquid yeast will be exactly the same.[/quote]
Well, not with that attitude, Mr. Pragmatist.

I’ve found 34-70 to be a better flocculater compared to wy2124. In my book it gets bonus points. Otherwise the beers I made with either weren’t similar enough for me to make flavor comparisons. I liked both enough to use 'em again. :smiley:

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]FWIW, Wyeast lists these for schwarz…if I was going to choose one of those for both, it would be 2124 or 2278.

2007 - Pilsen Lager™
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
2278 - Czech Pils™

34/70 is reportedly sourced from 2124. It’s a good yeast, but not as good as 2124. No dry yeast that originally came from a liquid yeast will be exactly the same.[/quote]

Doesn’t absolutely have to be as long as it’s in the ballpark and makes good beer.

Agreed.