Wyeast 2035 American Lager smack pack

Gotta keep the smack pack questions going. We did a 10 gal batch today and smacked two 2035s at the beginning of the day. About 5 hours later, neither pack has noticeably puffed up. Is this normal for Wyeast Lager packs? I have always had great responses from American and English ale packs. Not too worried, just wondering.

What’s the manufacture date? You definitely needed to make a starter as 2 packs for 10 gallons is severely underpitching. Check out mrmalty.com to find out the proper pitching rate and viability based on manufacture date.

Thanks for the info. 12 hours after pitching, I am getting minimal airlock activity (less than one bubble a minute). I am going to buy another smack pack and create a starter and re-pitch. Unfortunately I tossed the pack and the trash man has already came, but I will have the manufacture date off of the new pack that I buy today.

The beer is going now. What you started with has multiplied already. No need to spend another $8 for more yeast.

Neither pack worked. Our LHBS did not have any more of the smack packs in stock. I made a 24 hour starter with Fermentis Dry Lager Yeast and three hours later…lots of activity.

No need to make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate in lukewarm tap water and pitch.

No need to make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate in lukewarm tap water and pitch.[/quote]

The beer was fairly big (1.068). Will a pack of dry yeast keep up with that?

[quote=“isots”]

The beer was fairly big (1.068). Will a pack of dry yeast keep up with that?[/quote]

May need a bit more I suppose. Mrmalty calls for 27g of dry yeast. I’m just not sure starters with dry yeast work the same as with liquid yeast.

[quote=“airlocksniffer”][quote=“isots”]

The beer was fairly big (1.068). Will a pack of dry yeast keep up with that?[/quote]

May need a bit more I suppose. Mrmalty calls for 27g of dry yeast. I’m just not sure starters with dry yeast work the same as with liquid yeast.[/quote]

The Fermentis packet says 11.5g. I did not know about mrmalty until about 3 days ago. I will trust them.

Most likely your 1st yeast has started. Not unusual for a 3 days lag time. Especially with a lager.

24hr starter? Doubtful there was any appreciable growth of the yeast in a 24hr period.

ETA:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

NH, thanks for the info. I am learning a lot, brewing beer and having fun.